Welcome Anonymous !

Battletech Universe

The Battletech Roundtable

IMR Productions to negotiate for BattleTech and Shadowrun

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: Ravion Hawk, AVA MANGO TWO, Steve Ronin

Postby Blackhawk01 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:57 pm

Well to me the whole idea is pretty pointless for CBT to become totally separate from WizKids and still be enslaved to a DarkAge future. Why seek new ownership and not pursue your own direction? This is a golden opportunity for a fresh direction.

Blackhawk01

Postby Ravion Hawk » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:10 pm

Blackhawk01 wrote:Well to me the whole idea is pretty pointless for CBT to become totally separate from WizKids and still be enslaved to a DarkAge future. Why seek new ownership and not pursue your own direction? This is a golden opportunity for a fresh direction.

I agree 100% Especially when WK wants to continue MWDA.

BRING BACK THE WOLVERINES!!!!!

Let the Jihad run its course, then BAM!. Wolverines come-a-knockin' :twisted:
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby PILSNERMAN » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Still doesn't convince me Clanners pure and simple, wether warden or crusader, are bred for war. Their trianing is constant war, so to see a disarming/demobilizing on that scale would truely require complete ANNIHILATION of all clans to ensure that no crusaders remain including those among the wardens.

We have been conditioned by TPTB to view the clans this way and to do otherwise is suicide to the story.

In short, sweet, and plain english... The Clans have to go for the MWDA storyline to exsist.

I disagree.
The Nova Cats being assimulated into the Draconis combine. The Ghost Bears relocating in to the Innershpere and the remainder of the FRR willingly Joining the Ghost Bear Dominion . the Wolfs in Exile being acceped into the Lyran Commonwelth and partisipating with the New SLDF agaist the clans during Bulldog . In 3050 these events would be considered far fetched if not imposible to ever happen with what we knew then about the Clans .

While we are on the Clans I wonder why when the Clans where first introduced into battletech there was not the same resistance to the new reality the divergent different direction for CBT ? The Clan Invasion and the introduction of clan weapons completly changed how war fought in the innersphere and gave players a radicaly different perspective on how the game was played .

8) PILSNERMAN 8)
ImageImage Image
PILSNERMAN
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby wayne_cramp » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:51 am

WK isn't selling the rights to Battletech, and FanPro only owns publishing rights to what is now CBT, or anything prior to MWDA.

I will point out that the folks at IMR who are attempting to get the rights to CBT from FanPro are some of the same people who own IMR are the guys who write for MWDA. Why invalidate work you've already done? A divergent timeline does just that and pisses off a portion of your fan base.

The original storline was played out anyway. You had the Clan invasion, you had civil war, what was next? Obviously, the Jihad, but once that storyline is wrapped up you're pretty much right where....MWDA starts. It makes sense. Maybe when WK decides to unload Battletech completely then you turn the story a different way from where it is currently heading in MWDA, but you certainly don't just say "None of that happened".

I actually like the MWDA storyline. I know some people don't, and if you don't, then don't read the novels, simple as that.

Blackhawk01 wrote:Well to me the whole idea is pretty pointless for CBT to become totally separate from WizKids and still be enslaved to a DarkAge future. Why seek new ownership and not pursue your own direction? This is a golden opportunity for a fresh direction.
wayne_cramp
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby wayne_cramp » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:53 am

Oh, there were many people who screamed bloody murder at the introduction of the Clans. You can tell who they are because they still play with the 2750 rules... ;)

Seriously, any time there is a radical new element inserted someone is going to be pissed. That's just the way it goes. People generally don't like change.

PILSNERMAN wrote:
Still doesn't convince me Clanners pure and simple, wether warden or crusader, are bred for war. Their trianing is constant war, so to see a disarming/demobilizing on that scale would truely require complete ANNIHILATION of all clans to ensure that no crusaders remain including those among the wardens.

We have been conditioned by TPTB to view the clans this way and to do otherwise is suicide to the story.

In short, sweet, and plain english... The Clans have to go for the MWDA storyline to exsist.

I disagree.
The Nova Cats being assimulated into the Draconis combine. The Ghost Bears relocating in to the Innershpere and the remainder of the FRR willingly Joining the Ghost Bear Dominion . the Wolfs in Exile being acceped into the Lyran Commonwelth and partisipating with the New SLDF agaist the clans during Bulldog . In 3050 these events would be considered far fetched if not imposible to ever happen with what we knew then about the Clans .

While we are on the Clans I wonder why when the Clans where first introduced into battletech there was not the same resistance to the new reality the divergent different direction for CBT ? The Clan Invasion and the introduction of clan weapons completly changed how war fought in the innersphere and gave players a radicaly different perspective on how the game was played .

8) PILSNERMAN 8)
wayne_cramp
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Odysseus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:17 am

Update: An IMR moderated chat took place on Saturday, March 28th. View the chat log here.

In addition, I recommend checking out Jason "Deathshadow"'s (CBT web admin) blog at http://my.opera.com/deathshadow/blog/ for a recent blog entry about some of the negative reactions to the IMR talks.
Administrator of Battletech Universe
Administrator of MyBattletech Media Server
Managing Editor of Argent Fire
Odysseus

Postby Rommel Twee » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 pm

Personally they need to go back and do more historicals. Of course you know how it ends, but there are all kinds of dark niches in the past to explore.

Age of War(no mechs there :) )
Reunification wars
Kerensky's drive to Terra
and so on and so on....
~Kirk~ (alderfek@aol.com)

"North of Mason, South of Dixon, 2nd star to the right."

ImageImage
Rommel Twee
211th FWL SG
211th FWL SG
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ravion Hawk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:23 pm

IMR moderated chat wrote:
trboturtle wrote: Q= Will this change effect the storyline any?

Precentor_Martial wrote: A= Very unlikely...but I'm a big believer in never say never until the dotted line is signed. ;-)

That sounds a little promising
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Typhoon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:28 pm

Ravion Hawk wrote:
IMR moderated chat wrote:
trboturtle wrote: Q= Will this change effect the storyline any?

Precentor_Martial wrote: A= Very unlikely...but I'm a big believer in never say never until the dotted line is signed. ;-)

That sounds a little promising

Yep, it sounds like they are open to the idea but also that the "Jihad" is here to stay. Maybe the "Dark Ages" plot could see a change in the BT universe, MAYBE!
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Ravion Hawk » Tue May 01, 2007 9:07 am

The Jihad isn't the problem, WoB are psychos anyways.

It was the MWDA plot that was goofy.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Steve Ronin » Tue May 01, 2007 9:29 am

I like the idea of "Elven Exotic Dancers".... care to demonstrate, ODY? :lol: :twisted:

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE
Steve Ronin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Northwind Highlanders
Northwind Highlanders
General
General
Knight
Knight

Postby Deluge » Wed May 02, 2007 1:11 pm

So if CBT and MWDA split and go their seperate ways... wont all the current metal DA minis become "unseen"? :shock: :?
Deluge
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Ravion Hawk » Wed May 02, 2007 4:03 pm

Deluge wrote:So if CBT and MWDA split and go their seperate ways... wont all the current metal DA minis become "unseen"? :shock: :?

I would say nope cause they all are different from the CBT versions except the Re-Seens.

The DA metal would just not be produced anymore.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Shadow Slayer » Wed May 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Ravion Hawk wrote:
The DA metal would just not be produced anymore.

I highly doubt this. Nor would I want this to come to pass.

Remember, MWDA, weather you love it or hate it, is eventually what Battletech will eventually evolve into. Say what you want about the "re-done" Classic stuff that DA screwed over, but there are still plenty of DA designs that are actualy quite nice, and I personally like the metal versions. Not to mention that many of them are being integrated into the main CBT line at the moment.

Just look at the Tech readout vehicle annex. And say hello to the industrial mechs that where originaly a part of the MWDA line. And now they are certified canonized mechs in the CBT line.

If this was the case, they would not only be putting a choke hold on what they can or can't put out with the future of the line, but they will loose a few designs that where actualy visualy quite nice. I personaly have no problem with designs like the Legionarre, Tundra Wolf, and many of the industrial mechs. So it would be a shame to see them go from the metal line, as they relay are very nice minis.

Now also, what I'm understanding from what has been explained here, is that IMR IS NOT gaining the total rights to the Classic Battletech copy write. But they are negotiating taking over the "distribution" rights from Fan Pro.

From my understanding, this will mean that IMR will carry the rights to make new product, reissue old products, and determain the "general direction" of both the Classic Battletech and Shadow run lines. But no where did I see that they are attempting to aquire the entire Copy Write for the lines. As if they did, that would mean that they will be taking over the MWDA line as well. So I'm sure that Wiz kids will still hold the main CopyWrite for all of the material that is produced through IMR, and through this, IMR will have access to anything that wiz kids makes on their own in the name of the universe. But Wiz Kids will not have much of a say as far as the "production" of new CBT products. Which is what from what I've gathered from what these posts say, is what IMR is truely going for.
Shadow Slayer
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Heimdall » Thu May 03, 2007 3:16 pm

I highly doubt the future history of CBT as represented by MW: DA/AoD going anywhere. Nowhere has it been said that WizKids is giving up the full rights to any of the three lines. They are redistributing the licensing rights for a certain period of time. They are, to my understanding, subcontracting IMR to create product for CBT and SR but FanPro must still work within certain guidelines set down by WizKids like any contractee must.
Heimdall

Postby Albrecht Jorgensson » Thu May 03, 2007 3:52 pm

I'm just happy that Wizkids is still doing their Solaris VII game.
How do I spell 'Politics'? C-O-W-A-R-D-I-C-E

Image Image
My Blog: http://thetwitcherspulpit.blogspot.com/
Albrecht Jorgensson
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Previous

Return to The Battletech Roundtable