Welcome Anonymous !

Battletech Universe

The Battletech Roundtable

Health of BattleTech?

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: Ravion Hawk, AVA MANGO TWO, Steve Ronin

Health of BattleTech?

Postby Paint it Pink » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:29 am

Is it just me, but does everything seem a little quiet? And by quiet I mean, not a lot of discussion and discourse, comments and chat going on.

The official site seems to hovering around three to four hundred people, not all of whom are contributing, and it just feels like the BattleTech community has lost its momentum on all the forums.

I know we chug along here. LoTB is more about trading, and the official site is more frothy, and there has been a certain amount of froth about that doctored picture, but please don't post another link.

I have some thoughts about this, which I'm not going to post here, because it is about the other forum, but wondered if any body has comments to make?
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
Paint it Pink

Postby Dart Omega » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:21 am

I haven't been to any of the other sites and haven't gone back to CBT either so I wouldn't know. here however it is kind of slow. but yes I noticed here as well.
Dart Omega
Blue Sword
Blue Sword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Paint it Pink » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:49 am

So is it the global recession making everyone hide?

Paint it Pink

Re: Health of BattleTech?

Postby Typhoon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:12 am

Paint it Pink wrote:Is it just me, but does everything seem a little quiet? And by quiet I mean, not a lot of discussion and discourse, comments and chat going on.

The official site seems to hovering around three to four hundred people, not all of whom are contributing, and it just feels like the BattleTech community has lost its momentum on all the forums.

I know we chug along here. LoTB is more about trading, and the official site is more frothy, and there has been a certain amount of froth about that doctored picture, but please don't post another link.

I have some thoughts about this, which I'm not going to post here, because it is about the other forum, but wondered if any body has comments to make?

I have sort of given up on the game, though, I do prefer to think of it as an extended hiatus. Work, life, etc has taken me farther and farther away from the Btech community. I don't go to the official site any more, its "more frothy" nature got to me. Others enjoy that and that's okay but I had had enough. Beyond that I can't comment.

"Doctored picture" :?: No idea what that was/is. I must have found a deeper cave to hide in than I thought! :wink:

Frankly, I am not surprised that there is a bit of a lull. These things go up and down, especially when there are economic problems about.
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby thecircus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:58 am

The economic woes are probably the majority of the problem. The rest, well for my part the wife is doing some writing and I can only use the computer when she is asleep(not very often!!! :lol: :lol: ). The community is still out there. I was actually able to enjoy a nice "poker run" at a local con last weekend.....was actually able to run a Ranger. So the ffolkes are still out there. In the US, part of the problem might be weather related. Lots of ffolkes caught up in Sandy, the spat of tornadoes this past summer..........

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

thecircus
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
7th Crucis Lancers
7th Crucis Lancers
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Steve Ronin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:18 pm

methinks things have quieted down. but people havent forgotten: theyre just Lurking.

and I'm with PiP: what doctored picture?

I'm busy trying to get up to speed at the new job.

Part of which is teaching Marines basic IT work.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE
Steve Ronin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Northwind Highlanders
Northwind Highlanders
General
General
Knight
Knight

Postby Dart Omega » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 pm

it is a funny image though, if anyone wants to see the picture just let me know and I will send it to them.
Dart Omega
Blue Sword
Blue Sword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby thatjimboguy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 pm

i'd like to see it
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura
thatjimboguy
Clan Wolf
Clan Wolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Snake Eyes » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:52 am

Like "thecircus", i'm married, my wife works full time and we have a 6 yo daugther, so she is in school, my situation is, i;m disabled so my health issues is like a rollercoaster......so not as much gaming as i'd like to do...

But hey, i'm not dead yet :lol:
Steele Industries:

Proud sponsor of the Solaris VII games for 30 years
Snake Eyes
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Paint it Pink » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:41 am

Not yet dead. Amen to that.

Paint it Pink

Postby Dart Omega » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:57 am

Aye PiP
Dart Omega
Blue Sword
Blue Sword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby thecircus » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:58 am

Steve Ronin wrote:I'm busy trying to get up to speed at the new job.

Part of which is teaching Marines basic IT work.

Teaching marines IT................ROFLMDAO!!!!!!!!!!
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

thecircus
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
7th Crucis Lancers
7th Crucis Lancers
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby skiltao » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:22 pm

MechWarrior Online should also be distracting people from the boardgame.
skiltao
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Paint it Pink » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Could be, I know some like it, but I'm getting very mixed reviews as it seems to polarise people that often means nothing of course.

I wondered about the 3520 announcement too?

However, it was the recent polls on retcons, and my own people playing that drove the posting of this thread.

Paint it Pink

Postby skiltao » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:08 pm

I do think that BT's online community became increasingly dependent on the official forum over the past decade, and that the official forum has been shrinking since '09 or so. However, back when I read the retcon polls, I saw in those threads a number of familiar faces who, for whatever reason, are no longer comfortable contributing there more actively. So there is a population of silent-but-watchful folk. And some discussion has moved to less visible areas - private messages, blogs, IRC, 4Chan.

Haven't really been back to check the froth since then. All in all, I would think the time jump and potential retcons should stir activity up rather than quiet it down. (At least until it starts hitting print anyways.)

On top of the recession and whatever else that's holding activity down, keep in mind the time of year - students (including mid-life folk retraining due to recession) will be starting finals soon, and a lot of businesses are ramping up for the holidays.
skiltao
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Snake Eyes » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:11 pm

skiltao wrote:MechWarrior Online should also be distracting people from the boardgame.

This....Probably for quite a while too

Paint it Pink wrote:Not yet dead. Amen to that.

Exactly
Steele Industries:

Proud sponsor of the Solaris VII games for 30 years
Snake Eyes
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Dart Omega » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:13 pm

I been to the MWO fourm and signed up for it but I am not to sure what to really make of it.

my First taste of BT was the boardgame and the first PC counterpart had been BT: CHI and CHR. than it was MW 1.
and I tell you this, I for one prefer the pen and paper over the computer any day of the week.

I learned the game from my brother back when we only had an AC 5 and the largest machine was the battlemaster. I learned math that way as well and the stories my brother read to me when I was younger from the Battletech books made me yearn to read just so I could read them on my own.

the way things are going I am not to sure how long board games will live or how long it will be before people become to reliant on AI to do everything for them.

the last true MW game was MW 3 where everything was by the book, the damage, mass, and tonnage as it kept the very core of BT.

now we have crap like mw 4 floating around and trash like MA(shutters).

from what I have seen MWO is keeping true to the old ways.

Though regardless of how quite BTU might get I will always be here lurking or posting something new and this is my BT Home.
Dart Omega
Blue Sword
Blue Sword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Typhoon » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 am

I bought MechWarrior Tactical Command for my iPad the day it was released and played a couple of scenarios but I haven't played it since the first week I had it. This isn't because I didn't like what I played, I did enjoy it, it was more because I am saving it until I finish/get tired of some other games I was playing. Once I am done with the other games I'll be all over MW:TC.

MW:TC is the only BT related item I have bought in a couple of years. I am just not as into the game as I once was, time, distance, and the lack of games has taken me away I guess.
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Paint it Pink » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:00 am

I've been wondering whether or not BT went off the rails after it forgot its roots, namely Japanese anime? I'm not saying BT needs to be more like anime, only that it became cut-off from the source material, and too inward looking as a result.

What I'm trying to get across that great things come out of stealing ideas wholesale and reinventing them as one's own. When BT stopped stealing ideas and making them new ideas, called synergy, then it started to stagnate.

What I see now is writers who are immersed in BT and steal from BT, which has led to stagnation; not of the background, but of the game rules. The how BT represents what it is inspired from.

Paint it Pink

Postby OLDZOAT » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:47 am

Well I think everybody have been busy of late and alot other thing like Sandy , economy ,work and family problem. Don't worry I think people need to take step back. Then it will get going again. Now me I have been working alot hours and trying keep up with work around the house. Oh don't forget the holiday are coming. Later
ImageImage
OLDZOAT
Gray Death Legion
Gray Death Legion
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Knight Supernum
Knight Supernum

Postby Centurion13 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:51 pm

skiltao wrote:However, back when I read the retcon polls, I saw in those threads a number of familiar faces who, for whatever reason, are no longer comfortable contributing there more actively. So there is a population of silent-but-watchful folk. And some discussion has moved to less visible areas - private messages, blogs, IRC, 4Chan.

I think the fact that I sent my initial response to this over a PM simply echoes what Bad Syntax said above. The keys are 'no longer comfortable' and 'increasingly dependent on the official forum over the past decade'. I want to say this is due in part to other things, but I usually catch **** from other respected members for expressing such unsubstantiated opinions. Maybe that is an example of what is going on?

skiltao wrote:Haven't really been back to check the froth since then. All in all, I would think the time jump and potential retcons should stir activity up rather than quiet it down. (At least until it starts hitting print anyways.)

Retcons? Huh. Jumping a hundred years ahead, now... that will be interesting. It may have to come with a revamp of the TW rules, to cover the new weapons and such.

skiltao wrote:On top of the recession and whatever else that's holding activity down, keep in mind the time of year - students (including mid-life folk retraining due to recession) will be starting finals soon, and a lot of businesses are ramping up for the holidays.

I am not sure if Pink is addressing the situation right now or if she's referring to a trend.

Cent13
Last edited by Centurion13 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Centurion13 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:57 am

Paint it Pink wrote:I've been wondering whether or not BT went off the rails after it forgot its roots, namely Japanese anime? I'm not saying BT needs to be more like anime, only that it became cut-off from the source material, and too inward looking as a result.

Ummm. About how long ago do you think this happened? I thought you were referring to the past four or five years. That kind of drift has been going on since at least 2000 and probably a lot earlier than that.

Cent13
Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Typhoon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:01 am

Paint it Pink wrote:I've been wondering whether or not BT went off the rails after it forgot its roots, namely Japanese anime? I'm not saying BT needs to be more like anime, only that it became cut-off from the source material, and too inward looking as a result.

No, I'd disagree that it went "off the rails". Continuing the train metaphor, it started on its own tracks when it moved away from Japanese anime. It moved from a Shinkansen to another style of train. (Okay, train metaphor done! ) I think it really had to or end up being forever compared to its origins and forever trapped by those roots.

Yes, I know it still gets compared to anime but less and less as time goes on. It really has developed its own identity.

Paint it Pink wrote:What I'm trying to get across that great things come out of stealing ideas wholesale and reinventing them as one's own. When BT stopped stealing ideas and making them new ideas, called synergy, then it started to stagnate.

It may be that FASA's troubles with lawsuits forced the powers that be very wary of "stealing ideas wholesale" and made them want to 'invent' their own ideas in order to avoid anything that smacked of stealing, ripping off, etc. (Something that is still said when BT is mentioned.)

Paint it Pink wrote:What I see now is writers who are immersed in BT and steal from BT, which has led to stagnation; not of the background, but of the game rules. The how BT represents what it is inspired from.

There may be a need for new writers to be actively sought out in order to bring life to the franchise, I don't know. Dark Age books really killed BT novels for me!

I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for in new game rules. What really can be done to make "walking tanks" more exciting/interesting/enthralling....?

Again, I think BT really, really needed to form its own identity separate from its animation roots once the background material got "deep" enough. That separation allowed it to become less like anime and more like "walking tanks". What has stalled it now may be the lack of exploring other media avenues, a decent anime program to name one. However, since it has ended up an online game, or two, and an iPad game I suspect that a new generation may come in with those avenues. Will they begin to play the board game?

That is a tough question; part of me says it isn't likely given that portable gaming systems and on line gaming have become ubiquitous. What may be needed is some decent way to transfer a BT board style game onto the various gaming medias. And by that I don't mean what I have seen currently, although that may have changed recently I don't know. I'd love to play a game but since I can't find anyone nearby to play it would be nice to have a game that uses the BT style of play without all the fuss of having to purchase various mech packages. I will admit that I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to MechWarrior On Line or MechWarrior Tactics so I may be way off in my comments.
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Paint it Pink » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Typhoon wrote: I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for in new game rules. What really can be done to make "walking tanks" more exciting/interesting/enthralling....?

Lots... Non BT people are just not into the machine sheet mechanics, which for them makes the walking tanks boring, dull and a turn off.

Paint it Pink

Postby Dart Omega » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 pm

you mean the Clicky teh/PC/SNES/Xbox people?

No they wouldn't be. that would require them to actually think on how to use them, do math, keep track of ammunition, heat, and to also actually spend physical time with other people. :lol:
Dart Omega
Blue Sword
Blue Sword
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to The Battletech Roundtable