Welcome Anonymous !

Battletech Universe

General Gaming

Microsoft okays fan-created Mechwarrior game

Discuss general gaming issues NOT specifically related to MechWarrior, MechCommander, MechAssault or BT PnP games

Moderator: Ravion Hawk

Microsoft okays fan-created Mechwarrior game

Postby Deluge » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:47 am

MechWarrior Crysis Mod Given Legal Clearance

In a move that will no doubt bring light to understandably joyless PC BattleTech fans, Microsoft, owner of the MechWarrior license, has granted the MechWarrior: Living Legends mod team the legal clearance to use assets and properties drawn from the BattleTech universe (thanks Landrosradick).
In other words, Microsoft has okayed a fan-created MechWarrior game. Seeing as Cease & Desist orders from property holders are a very common and real threat for mod teams, the Living Legends team has, essentially, dodged a major bullet.... read more
Deluge
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby lonestar1939 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:34 am

Man, I sure hope that they finish this thing to the end. Otherwise, what a tease.

You Go Dudes!
Lonestar
lonestar1939
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Steve Ronin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:39 am

Go Team Go!

pls post more of the article...
I cant get past our overly protective firewall :?:

"Network blocked as Anon. Proxy-Hacking Site"

Cut and Paste, somebody...
the Ronin needs more intel.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE
Steve Ronin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Northwind Highlanders
Northwind Highlanders
General
General
Knight
Knight

Postby Deathstrike » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:00 pm

Here you go Steve.

In a move that will no doubt bring light to understandably joyless PC BattleTech fans, Microsoft, owner of the MechWarrior license, has granted the MechWarrior: Living Legends mod team the legal clearance to use assets and properties drawn from the BattleTech universe (thanks Landrosradick).
In other words, Microsoft has okayed a fan-created MechWarrior game. Seeing as Cease & Desist orders from property holders are a very common and real threat for mod teams, the Living Legends team has, essentially, dodged a major bullet.

All the more exciting, and at the same time disheartening, is the fact that Living Legends is a mod currently in development for Crytek's upcoming PC shooter Crysis. On the upside, it will most likely look really, really pretty. On the downside, that means that the team has yet to get their hands on the actual code, and with such mods being voluntary free-time projects, it could be a few years out.

Still, lots of excitement to be had, especially with the recent closure of MechWarrior 4 developer FASA Studios, the only internal Microsoft studio to utilize the property. Now to wait.

"Robot boners across America," exclaimed the currently medicated Shacknews founder Steve Gibson as he shook his three different bottles of pain medication. "No wait, the world! Robot boners across the world!"

"Squishy foot hurts," he added.
My escape route goes through the enemy.
Deathstrike
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Steve Ronin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:21 am

Deathstrike wrote:
"Robot boners across America," exclaimed the currently medicated Shacknews founder Steve Gibson as he shook his three different bottles of pain medication. "No wait, the world! Robot boners across the world!"

ROFLMAO! :lol:

:!: Robot boners across the world :!:

:lol:

Steve Ronin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Northwind Highlanders
Northwind Highlanders
General
General
Knight
Knight

Postby Deathstrike » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:35 pm

Steve Ronin wrote:
Deathstrike wrote:

ROFLMAO! :lol:

:!: Robot boners across the world :!:

:lol:

Lol I found that bit funny myself. :lol:
Deathstrike
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Lawgiver » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:38 am

Sweet. Now lets hope they reach the final stages and bring the game to fruition.
Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby IAMCLANWOLF » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:45 pm

Microsoft actually released rights?...that’s like saying Satan pays tithing.

Well since Crysis is going to be absolutely fragin' amazing :twisted: I have high hopes for the Mechwarrior version…awesome news, thanks Deluge!
My Portfolio

FOREVER [Ulric] KERENSKY!
IAMCLANWOLF

Postby Steve Ronin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:02 am

IAMCLANWOLF wrote:Microsoft actually released rights?...that’s like saying Satan pays tithing.

:!: ROBOT BONERS ACROSS THE WORLD! :!:

Steve Ronin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Northwind Highlanders
Northwind Highlanders
General
General
Knight
Knight

Postby Deathstrike » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:52 pm

Steve Ronin wrote:
IAMCLANWOLF wrote:Microsoft actually released rights?...that’s like saying Satan pays tithing.

:!: ROBOT BONERS ACROSS THE WORLD! :!:

Yep I've officially broke him. *Gets Garbage bag*
Deathstrike
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby The_Wolf » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:04 am

So, what is this mod for... Enemy Territory: Quake Wars or Crysis... okay, in reading a bit further it has recently changed over to Crysis... that's funny, because three months ago when I was reading the web site, it was for ET: QW. Now I have to check out Crysis.
The_Wolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Microsoft okays fan-created Mechwarrior game

Postby Captain_Martius » Thu May 01, 2008 3:59 pm

Deluge wrote:MechWarrior Crysis Mod Given Legal Clearance

In other words, Microsoft has okayed a fan-created MechWarrior game. Seeing as Cease & Desist orders from property holders are a very common and real threat for mod teams, the Living Legends team has, essentially, dodged a major bullet.... read more

Any Idea who they talked to? I reached out to Microsoft and WizKids in January (roughly) to open discussions on creating a whole new MechWarrior game (amongst other things, I own a new *small* (as of yet) game making company) after the MS shutdown of the FASA studios. MS gave me the generic "please submit a request" line. WizKids tells me the IP for MechWarrior is "current in flux with the shutdown of FASA studios, we cannot comment further at this time," but... they did show interest on first contact. Any insights on the path they followed would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Capt'n
No good deed shall go unpunished!
Captain_Martius
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Return to General Gaming