Welcome Anonymous !

Battletech Universe

Site Announcements

Staff positions

The latest news & announcements at Battletech Universe.

Moderators: Ravion Hawk, shalom itay

Staff positions

Postby Typhoon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:38 am

Members and staff of BTU,

Recent events have compelled me to take a look at the current staff that are running the site; some are here but pop in from time to time to read and log off; others have pretty much disappeared and moved on to other real life activities or have become concerned with health, etc.

In light of this, I feel that I need to go through the staff roster and look at who has not been around and how long they have been away. I have decided to return any member of the staff who has not contributed in a year or more to regular member status unless they let me know they wish to remain in the staff roster and try to revitalize BTU.

I think it is well past time we take a step in going through our staff membership and making some hard decisions. I am sorry that I have to return some of you to regular membership but I think it needs to be done.

Absent staff, if you read this please PM me with your thoughts.

On another note; later this week, when my log in issues get sorted out, I intend to appoint Ravion Hawk to a staff position. He will fill what I will call a "General Moderator" position, meaning he will be able to run a variety of forums and not be tied to any one forum. He already has a job ahead of him which some may notice after he has been given " the spare key" to BTU.

Congrats Ravion!
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Re: Staff positions

Postby Ravion Hawk » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:18 pm

Thank you Typhoon.

I know my mission and I will complete it with due diligence.

I just hope I'm welcomed into the family by the other staff members.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Steve Ronin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:59 pm

Welcome to the responsible side, sucka ! :lol:

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE
Steve Ronin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Northwind Highlanders
Northwind Highlanders
General
General
Knight
Knight

Postby thecircus » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:21 pm

Steve,

I will do what I can. I will be here more often, and can still do my duties.

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

thecircus
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
7th Crucis Lancers
7th Crucis Lancers
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Dread » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:27 pm

I'm not staff, but I'm interested in helping out if you need it.
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.

Dread
Blue Star Irregulars
Blue Star Irregulars
Warrant Officer 5
Warrant Officer 5
Knight
Knight

Postby Ravion Hawk » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Dread wrote:I'm not staff, but I'm interested in helping out if you need it.

Drag MOAR people in! :lol:
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Typhoon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:16 am

Ravion Hawk wrote:
Dread wrote:I'm not staff, but I'm interested in helping out if you need it.

Drag MOAR people in! :lol:

Well, there are a lot of positions available so what area would you be interested in helping out with. PM me.

I am getting back into BT after a long absence and am looking at BTU with a bit of renewed interest but considering the "ghost town" it has become I am wondering if there really is a need considering FaceBook, etc. Maybe creating a BTU closed group (for now) on FB might be a good idea. (I know one or two of you have avoided FB for various reasons but given the time spent on FB and the amount of people there I wonder if it isn't a wise idea to create a BTU group there.)
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Dread » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:59 am

Honestly, I think it would be. People just seem to be migrating away from the traditional sites like this one and LotB. It's much the same issue as I'm facing on an old RP site I am a member of. At any given time, there may be three of four posters these days, whereas in the old days, we had nearly a dozen posting like they were possessed. I miss it. A lot.

I'd be more than happy to set up the FB page if you'd like. Just tell me what you want linked to it, and I'll see what I can do.
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.

Dread
Blue Star Irregulars
Blue Star Irregulars
Warrant Officer 5
Warrant Officer 5
Knight
Knight

Postby Ravion Hawk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:18 pm

Please no on the idea of a BTU facebroke group.

Facebroke is having more and more issues loading up because of all the ads. Besides, Battletech International seems to have that under control.

Plus, unless I want to alienate all my friends and family by unfriending/blocking them, I know I won't catch much of what is going on just like now with BTI because of the feed system.

And don't forget that Zuckerburg has admitted to messing with feeds for his "Social Experiments" that caused people miss at times important announcements.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Typhoon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:42 am

Ravion Hawk wrote:Please no on the idea of a BTU facebroke group.

Okay, one vote "no".

Ravion Hawk wrote:Facebroke is having more and more issues loading up because of all the ads. Besides, Battletech International seems to have that under control.

I'm not having any problems loading FB. And I use an iPad. FB loads very quickly on my iPad and iPhone. Not sure why you are having these issues.

Ravion Hawk wrote:Plus, unless I want to alienate all my friends and family by unfriending/blocking them, I know I won't catch much of what is going on just like now with BTI because of the feed system.

Umm, okay. Again, I'm not having any problems getting BTI feeds. In fact, I get a ton of posts from BTI.

Ravion Hawk wrote:And don't forget that Zuckerburg has admitted to messing with feeds for his "Social Experiments" that caused people miss at times important announcements.

Not sure how this affects me considering I have yet to miss anything from the pages I am linked to.

So, okay, you do not want a BTU FaceBook page. I won't ask you to join if you do not want to. Not a problem.

Dread wrote:Honestly, I think it would be. People just seem to be migrating away from the traditional sites like this one and LotB. It's much the same issue as I'm facing on an old RP site I am a member of. At any given time, there may be three of four posters these days, whereas in the old days, we had nearly a dozen posting like they were possessed. I miss it. A lot.

This is what I have been thinking too. I see a lot of BT players on FB and some who have been either here or at other traditional sites. This has lead me to believe that it might be a wise idea to set up a closed FB group for BTU for those that are interested. It may generate some interest in this site too. Never know.

Dread wrote:I'd be more than happy to set up the FB page if you'd like. Just tell me what you want linked to it, and I'll see what I can do.

Sure, you can set it up if you have some spare time. I was going to make it a "private" group for now and invite various friends who I know are BT players or have been members of BTU or LOTB.

Offhand, I can't think of what I'd like the group linked to other than here. Any suggestions?
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Typhoon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:56 am

I am also thinking about the ease of posting pictures on the FB page in my consideration. BTU was a bit of a pain back in the day. It may have changed but I got frustrated by having to upload it to a picture hosting site then linking my picture to the hosting site when posting a pic here.

Again, it has been a long while since I posted pictures here so this may have changed. If it has then that is a great addition to this site!
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Ravion Hawk » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 am

I think my load problems on facebook (aside from the ads being blocked) would be the same reason I lose the BTI activity...

I've got friends and family that while they respect my religious beliefs, spam the world about their religion. I can turn my back for 1 minute and return to 100+ "God is great, Like for an Amen, Share to spread the word" posts.

Now, while I would be opposed to a closed BTU group (because of the issues stated) I never said I wouldn't want to be part of it. You have a VERY valid point on the pictures. My websites are dead because the host screwed everyone and I don't want a mile long web address. So I'm waiting until I'm back to work with a significant income before I pay for a domain name (need 2) and pay for good hosting.

The down fall to the groups though is the lack of organization. The admins can make "sticky" posts at the top, but other things can get lost. I've tried looking for posts to link to in BTI just to waste 30 mins trying to find it or just giving up.

Whatever is decided, I'm coming with dammit.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Ravion Hawk » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:39 am

Typhoon wrote:Again, it has been a long while since I posted pictures here so this may have changed. If it has then that is a great addition to this site!

Addressing this by itself.

I don't know what changed, but the pic attachment system is frakking AWESOME here as of late.

Check them out viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18880

You can get them at their full sizes too which is handy for sharing the techsheets.
LotB and Facebook don't do that.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Dread » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:40 pm

The page is up, but unpublished. PM me your facebook info and I will invite you to the page. Everything on it is just place holder for now; I would like to get the BTU emblem for the FB page, and the cover picture was a generic shot of the box game cover.

Dread
Blue Star Irregulars
Blue Star Irregulars
Warrant Officer 5
Warrant Officer 5
Knight
Knight

Postby Typhoon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:29 am

Dread wrote:The page is up, but unpublished. PM me your facebook info and I will invite you to the page. Everything on it is just place holder for now; I would like to get the BTU emblem for the FB page, and the cover picture was a generic shot of the box game cover.

Will PM you later this week. I am glad to hear it is set up already. Speck may have an idea of how to get the logo on FB but I suspect if you copy and paste it may work.

@ Ravion - I get you! Having people spamming one with messages one does not desire to see over and over again gets tedious. I'm going through that right now with several people; I'm very tired of seeing pro and anti gun control posts because frankly the are getting repetitive and are missing the point of both sides of the "debate"! Same goes for the religion thing. I'm at the point I want to tell people off but I just get FB to hide their shares and if it keeps cropping up I unfollow their posts. I do not unfriend them I just unfollow and choose when I want to peek in on them. I've had to do this a couple of times recently.

People have to remember that FB isn't like a face to face conversation where we can distract them to another topic or not listen or walk away.
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Steve Ronin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:38 pm

NO. absolutely NO to FB.

I don't FB. I have Very Good reasons, many of you know.

IF you want a page which can cross link people to THIS site, that would be fine.

Maybe see if that BTI FB page will carry a link to us.

But the Ronin will not be on the Book of Face.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE
Steve Ronin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Northwind Highlanders
Northwind Highlanders
General
General
Knight
Knight

Postby Ravion Hawk » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:25 am

Steve Ronin wrote:NO. absolutely NO to FB.

I don't FB. I have Very Good reasons, many of you know.

IF you want a page which can cross link people to THIS site, that would be fine.

Maybe see if that BTI FB page will carry a link to us.

But the Ronin will not be on the Book of Face.

Don't blame you bro.

As to BTI linking to us, I doubt it. BUT, whenever I mention us, I get told that they left due to log in problems and still can't log in. I think we need to make sure that bug is/was fixed and send out update emails to most accounts so that the logins can be reset.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby GRUD » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:59 pm

While I've NO desire for any sort of "Staff" Position, I thought I'd chime in on the FB Discussion.

Some of you know I've got CRAP dialup, and that is the only option where I live. Because of that, Forum sites like THIS are MUCH better for me than FB. Even when the Internet Gods are smiling upon me with Favor, FB gives me ten times more headaches than any 4 other sites COMBINED. Sure, their picture uploading thing works fine when I'm on my laptop, and have access to a high-speed connection, but from home, it sucks. :P

As Ravion pointed out, there's no ORGANIZATION of any kind to ANY FB page, so trying to find an old post is a Royal pain. And HE thinks it sucks with his high-speed connection! :roll: :lol:

At the moment, I've apparently got some sort of Virus on my desktop PC, which seems to be affecting my "FB Experience" somehow, as I can't get their Messaging System to open from home, and most pages take a LOT longer to open, IF they open for me at all. I'm planning on swapping out my current 60 GB HD for a larger one this weekend, then having the "Fun" of installing Win 7 Pro, so with any luck, the virus is contained on that HD and hasn't infected my secondary drive. I'm Hoping things will go back to "Normal" for me afterwards.

While "Social Media" sites like FB are OK I guess, as far as I'm concerned, I like Forum Sites MUCH better, and I Always will. Having said that, I WOULD join a BTU FB Page if invited. With my current "PC Issues" though, I don't know that I'd be doing much once I got there. :?

And I Agree, Zuckerman can suck a Big one. :thumleft: :twisted: :thumleft:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.
"Remember. No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai - PhD, Rocket Scientist, Musician.
Mini Mule Avatar by Steve Ronin!

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"
GRUD
Gray Death Legion
Gray Death Legion
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Dread » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:54 am

Fire me a PM with your info, Grud, and we'll get you set up. For now, I'm still playing with the page types. The page still isn't published due to my suddenly not having a lot of extra time. That should change this weekend, hopefully.

Dread
Blue Star Irregulars
Blue Star Irregulars
Warrant Officer 5
Warrant Officer 5
Knight
Knight

Postby Ravion Hawk » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:17 pm

GRUD wrote:At the moment, I've apparently got some sort of Virus on my desktop PC, which seems to be affecting my "FB Experience" somehow, as I can't get their Messaging System to open from home, and most pages take a LOT longer to open, IF they open for me at all.

That is likely not a virus, we're getting the same here. Even on the linux machines.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby GRUD » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Ravion Hawk wrote:
GRUD wrote:At the moment, I've apparently got some sort of Virus on my desktop PC, which seems to be affecting my "FB Experience" somehow, as I can't get their Messaging System to open from home, and most pages take a LOT longer to open, IF they open for me at all.

That is likely not a virus, we're getting the same here. Even on the linux machines.

I've gotten online a few times in the past few weeks with my laptop (at a local McDs), and FB has worked fine for me, except I can't play "Armed Forces". Whenever I click any link, it refreshes the page. :P The Messaging System opens just fine on my laptop though. :?:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.
"Remember. No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai - PhD, Rocket Scientist, Musician.
Mini Mule Avatar by Steve Ronin!

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"
GRUD
Gray Death Legion
Gray Death Legion
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Typhoon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:07 am

I don't see why this site and an FB site can't both be up and running. (Yes, I know no one said a BTU FB site shouldn't be around.)

Yes, there are negatives with FB but considering how many are using BT International I think it might be a wise idea to make an FB page in order to augment BTU's home page. It may help drum up members or bring back members who have gone elsewhere.

Those of you not wanting to go to FB have a number of good reasons not to and I think we all can respect those reasons. So, remaining as a member of this site and posting here is a great idea, I do think there can be some cross posting if need be.

We really need to do something to bring life back to BTU, now more than ever considering.
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Ravion Hawk » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:52 am

As long as we don't abandon this site, then let's go for it.

BUT,

We do need to get some things fixed here. Many left around the last update when a lot of the accounts got screwed up. We need to get those accounts reset AND change the look of the site to show there have been changes.

I know I've volunteered to work on the look of the site to try and bring it back to more closely resemble the old look that was easier on the eyes IMHO.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Postby Dread » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:08 pm

Ok, guys... The page is published, and you guys should have received invitations to the page. I'm looking for ideas and pointers to make this page the best example of our hobby and representation of this site that I can.

If the invitations somehow get missed, this is the URL

https://www.facebook.com/BattletechUniverse/timeline?ref=page_internal

Dread
Blue Star Irregulars
Blue Star Irregulars
Warrant Officer 5
Warrant Officer 5
Knight
Knight

Postby Ravion Hawk » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:30 pm

First and foremost...

Grab the BTU logo for the pic and the BTU Banner for the cover photo.
Ravion Hawk
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Iron Raven Mercenaries
Major
Major

Next

Return to Site Announcements