Welcome Anonymous !

Battletech Universe

ComStar NewsDesk Discussions

CGL wants to acquire the rights to BT, SR, etc.

Discuss the latest and hottest Battletech & Mecha news releases!

Moderators: Ravion Hawk, Typhoon, shalom itay

CGL wants to acquire the rights to BT, SR, etc.

Postby Typhoon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:22 am

In case anyone has missed it, some big news was sprung on the BT and SR worlds today.

http://catalystgamelabs.com/2008/11/17/catalyst-game-labs-submits-offer-for-wizkids-properties/

Catalyst Game Labs has tendered an offer with The Topps Company, Inc. to acquire various WizKids’ properties, including such dynamic game lines as HeroClix, the Pirates Pocket Model Game, BattleTech/MechWarrior, and Shadowrun. After carefully reviewing options, Catalyst firmly believes that to protect the properties and ensure the best possible continuity for all communities, acquiring all brands will ensure the on going success of these game lines.

Loren Coleman [majority owner of Catalyst Game Labs] recently met in New York with Topps senior management to further explore the acquisition of these properties. “Catalyst has demonstrated our ability to manage large and important intellectual properties, “said Loren. “We will bring the same excitement and care to the HeroClix, Pirates and other WizKids’ brands. We’ve made our initial offer, and look forward to a successful resolution.”

This will be months away and may never come to fruition but it is interesting news.

CGL is not alone in wanting "Heroclix" another company, Pinata Games, has been formed by two former WK employees in an attempt to acquire "Heroclix".

This will be worth watching.
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Centurion13 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:50 am

Loren is going to need some serious bank to acquire those rights. Question is, are they are worth having? WK was shut down for a reason - not profitable enough would be my guess.

Remember, the shockwave has only begun to reach us. It's going to get to the point where new acquisitions are going to be a luxury only the rich can afford. Game companies do not often appear in the Fortune 500, and when they do, it's because they are good at what they do in terms of profitability.

This includes, but is not limited to, shedding unprofitable game formats.

Cent13
Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Typhoon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:55 am

Centurion13 wrote:Loren is going to need some serious bank to acquire those rights. Question is, are they are worth having? WK was shut down for a reason - not profitable enough would be my guess.

Remember, the shockwave has only begun to reach us. It's going to get to the point where new acquisitions are going to be a luxury only the rich can afford. Game companies do not often appear in the Fortune 500, and when they do, it's because they are good at what they do in terms of profitability.

This includes, but is not limited to, shedding unprofitable game formats.

Cent13

Yes, he is but he probably knows far better than we how he is going to finance it.

Well, in these days "not profitable enough" could mean a great many things, e.g. not profitable enough for Topps, not profitable enough without the products that made it profitable, etc.

Yes, shedding unprofitable games are good but hanging onto the rights is okay as long as one does not start investing in it without some serious financial backing and good prospects. Sitting on the rights won't cost you much. Some companies like to sell off good and poor performing products as a group so there may not be a whole lot one can do to avoid getting them.
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby 00Dawg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:27 am

Oh, man, do I hope they get the MW/CBT and SR rights. I realize Loren's a Cappie fanboy, but to get the full rights back in the hands of a fan of CBT, period, would be a positive step.
00Dawg
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Return_Of_The_Dark_Side » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:49 pm

If the rights to the MW DA/AOD properties arent acquired by CGL, or are picked up by some other company unwilling to co-operate on meshing the timelines well, what would CBT do? Just keep on chugging along and pretend it didn't happen?

I'm not saying I'm hoping for this, since MW is how i got into BT, i'm just curious as to what would happen to that timeline.
Return_Of_The_Dark_Side
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Typhoon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Return_Of_The_Dark_Side wrote:If the rights to the MW DA/AOD properties arent acquired by CGL, or are picked up by some other company unwilling to co-operate on meshing the timelines well, what would CBT do? Just keep on chugging along and pretend it didn't happen?

I'm not saying I'm hoping for this, since MW is how i got into BT, i'm just curious as to what would happen to that timeline.

I think the "other company" would probably be willing to lease the rights if need be because they would be getting money for allowing it. If not, then I do not think there would be a major change in the timeline just some tweaks.

However, it appears, at the moment, that Pinata Games is really interested in "Heroclix" because it is a big seller. Since some of the other games are not be produced Pinata may not be so interested in acquiring them.

We shall see what conspires.
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Charlie Tango » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Return_Of_The_Dark_Side wrote:If the rights to the MW DA/AOD properties arent acquired by CGL, or are picked up by some other company unwilling to co-operate on meshing the timelines well, what would CBT do? Just keep on chugging along and pretend it didn't happen?

Likely nothing since the folks developing the MWDA time line and the CBT timeline are pretty much the same people. At this point, we are far enough along in the CBT timeline heading through the Jihad towards the events in MWDA that it is unlikely they will vary from the timeline.

"No one conquers who doesn't fight." -- Wisdom found inside a fortune cookie
Charlie Tango

Postby Phelan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:31 pm

I am so glad to see that CGL is willing to make sure that CBT will be produced. It shows great commitment by CGL to provide the product that we the CBT community wants.

I feel a big round of applause is in order for CGL. THANK YOU!

Phelan
Phelan
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Return to ComStar NewsDesk Discussions