Welcome Anonymous !

Battletech Universe

ComStar NewsDesk Discussions

MechWarrior movie trailer released

Discuss the latest and hottest Battletech & Mecha news releases!

Moderators: Ravion Hawk, Typhoon, shalom itay

Postby EX_YN1 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:31 pm

It is pretty nice... even if its dark age stuff... :)
<br><b>"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished<br> unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." <br>-Voltaire</b><br>
EX_YN1
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby ImperiumKnight » Wed May 10, 2006 11:39 am

I'm psyched about the quality for a student project and the fact that if the movie's any indication on teh direction the fiction'll be taking we're going to see larger 'Mech engagements. I'd guess there's around a battalion of 'Mechs with the Wolf Hunters from the shots we saw and variety. Granted those tiny Jackalopes make up probably a company or more of those 'Mechs, but it's still far larger 'Mech numbers than I've seen in the past.
ImperiumKnight
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Daniel Gladstone » Fri May 12, 2006 12:37 pm

:D :D :D :D :D I really want to see the full thing when it is done if things go the way that the preview is going. Please let me know when it is released and where I can get a copy :!: ... :thumleft:
Daniel Gladstone

Postby Deathstrike » Fri May 12, 2006 3:28 pm

Too bad it's only going to be 30 minutes long. :(
My escape route goes through the enemy.
Deathstrike
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby EX_YN1 » Fri May 12, 2006 3:32 pm

Deathstrike wrote:Too bad it's only going to be 30 minutes long. :(
<br> Well, I hope they release it for all to enjoy on the internet or something after they premiere it at Origins.
<br><b>"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished<br> unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." <br>-Voltaire</b><br>
EX_YN1
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Hideki Kurita » Thu May 25, 2006 1:33 am

<I>Konban-wa, everyone</i>

I just took a look at the small trailer (and yes, it did look a little small) but the old saying goes:

"Good things come in small packages"

This time, I agree. I enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing more in the near future. With the kind of CGI graphics avaliable now, there should be no reason that a "BattleTech" movie could not be made now. I'm only surprised that something like this wasn't done sooner.

<I>Domo Arigato</i>

<I><b>Kurita, Hideki</i></b>
<font><I><B> Domo Arigato,</B>
Kurita, Hideki</i>

<I>"Secrets and porcelin have one thing in common - drop either of them and all the world hears it."</I></font>
Hideki Kurita
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby mercwarrior » Tue May 30, 2006 11:06 pm

I can't wait to see the final result. I have been waiting for this movie for over a year.
mercwarrior
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby ImperiumKnight » Wed May 31, 2006 11:38 am

Deathstrike wrote:Too bad it's only going to be 30 minutes long. :(

That's true but maybe if this is popular someone will do a longer film at a later date. This could be a very good way to gauge if they made a long film for say DVD release how well it might or might not sell and that could lead to future films. *crosses fingers*
ImperiumKnight
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby EnlightenmentHK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:46 pm

Although, I must say I find this a whole lot better than the effects in "Sky Captain" and some other well known movies.

To be fair, Sky Captain wasn't trying to appear realistic. It was going for a half real/half cartoonish film noir look coupled seeming homages to cheesey and fake looking 50's horror/sci-fi flicks.

And we'll likely see how close to complete realism we'll get with next summer's Transformers flick. A franchise with a much larger follow and more mainstream presence that is getting the big budget Michael Bay treatment. (can't say if that's a good thing). While I don't think a Hollywood released Battletech movie will ever come about, the slim possibilities that do exist for one may rest heavily on the Transformers film. If it tanks, well...no need for another big robot movie. If it kicks ass and becomes iconic...well, than big robot movies are played out and we don't want to appear like knockoffs. Probably should hope for big financial success with a somewhat forgettable movie.
EnlightenmentHK

Postby EX_YN1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:05 pm

EnlightenmentHK wrote:
Although, I must say I find this a whole lot better than the effects in "Sky Captain" and some other well known movies.

And we'll likely see how close to complete realism we'll get with next summer's Transformers flick. A franchise with a much larger follow and more mainstream presence that is getting the big budget Michael Bay treatment. (can't say if that's a good thing).
pearl harbor. oopsie!
EX_YN1
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby MechaPollo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:19 am

I can't wait to see more * Clucks Happly * ^____________^
MechaPollo

Postby Rutaw Askiesk » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:35 am

I like this one, when can I see it fully completed? I hope soon because I would not mind owning a copy when it is for sale.
Rutaw Askiesk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby EX_YN1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:00 pm

Rutaw Askiesk wrote:I like this one, when can I see it fully completed? I hope soon because I would not mind owning a copy when it is for sale.
It's supposed to be 'premiering' at Origins, so I imagine it should be all over the community after that...
EX_YN1
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby MechRat » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:04 pm

For a "student" project, this looks great! Everything has to start from somewhere. Who knows, maybe it will lead into something big. I'd like to see/hear the dialog. All the fx in the world can't help poor dialog. I'm waiting anxiously to see what develops.
(avatar by Knightmare)

"Beware the quiet ones, for you know not what they think." - me

OurBattleTech - A place for Alternate Universes to call home
MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby EX_YN1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Anybody seen/heard anything more on this? Did anyone see it at origins?
EX_YN1
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Lawgiver » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:51 pm

EX_YN1 wrote:Anybody seen/heard anything more on this? Did anyone see it at origins?

We searched for it at Origins every where and couldn't find it. No idea where they were hiding.
Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Typhoon » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:20 pm

Lawgiver wrote:
EX_YN1 wrote:Anybody seen/heard anything more on this? Did anyone see it at origins?

We searched for it at Origins every where and couldn't find it. No idea where they were hiding.

The Dave School's website says this will be screened at Origins, since passed, and GenCon. Maybe it will make it to GenCon?
Typhoon
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Clan Wolf-in-Exile
Khan
Khan

Postby Deathstrike » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 am

Or maybe this is a complet blow off? :x
My escape route goes through the enemy.
Deathstrike
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby maxoconnor » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:19 am

I'm going to Gen Con, I'll make sure to look for it there.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my warpipes.
maxoconnor
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby awclawson » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:35 pm

Anybody happen to find out any more info about the film? Are they at GEN CON?
awclawson
Clan Ghost Bear
Clan Ghost Bear
Point 2
Point 2

Postby Haruhara Karuko » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:26 pm

Really Like the clip great movie mechs look awesomeImage
Haruhara Karuko

Postby Albrecht Jorgensson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Okay, as a person who signed a 'Down with MWDA' petition, this actually looks pretty sweet. I may not like the DA mechs, but in this flick, damn, they look great! I can easily say that if this is released onto DVD, I would pick up a copy.

And in response to those who are griping about the lack of 'reality' in this movie, it's a movie about giant stomping mechs fighting one another over 1000 years in the future! Keep yer trap shut about reality when all their doing this for is for the fans of a great game. No one's making any money off this, so just be happy it's getting made!

And, as an aside, there is ONE good mecha movie out there: RobotJox

Full Moon studios did it in the 80's, and even though it's a B flick, it's a GOOD B flick. It has a sequel, but I can't think of it's name. I personally think that RobotJox is one of the factors that contributed to my starting BT!
How do I spell 'Politics'? C-O-W-A-R-D-I-C-E

Image Image
My Blog: http://thetwitcherspulpit.blogspot.com/
Albrecht Jorgensson
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Zmuh11 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:38 pm

(jaw drops after opening scenes)
wow, I really can't wait to see all of this movie. I'm sure the acting and characters might be less than perfect.

But who cares, that Atlas looks amazing!

Rollingdrafter wrote:Like Zach H says "Just my two cents"
Zmuh11
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Lawgiver » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:43 pm

Unfortunately, this one is probably a dead project. From the rumors I've heard ,the class graduated before it was finished.
Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Postby Shadow Slayer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:18 am

Albrecht Jorgensson wrote:
And, as an aside, there is ONE good mecha movie out there: RobotJox

Full Moon studios did it in the 80's, and even though it's a B flick, it's a GOOD B flick. It has a sequel, but I can't think of it's name. I personally think that RobotJox is one of the factors that contributed to my starting BT!

LOL,

I LOVED that movie.

The plot was virtualy when Solaris VII meats the Clans. I could not beleave how similar some of the concepts in the film where to the Battletech universe.

As far as the student film, It looks pretty good for a student project. Its times like this that I really wish I wasn't in the profession CG artist myself, as some of the things in the trailer just bug the **** out of me. But thats mainly because of my hypercritical eye that has pretty much Jaded me from enjoying many movies with bad effects. But as a student project Its looking pretty good. I hope the school has some compositing majors to get in and grime up the scenes as the Green Screened actors need some work to integrate them into the scene, and some general dust and grime needs to dirty up alot of the mechs and vehicles, as it looks like pretty much everything has literaly jumped off of the assembly line.
Shadow Slayer
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

PreviousNext

Return to ComStar NewsDesk Discussions