Ideas: Body points, TAG/Light TAG attacks, Alternative Conventional Vehicle Critical Hits Table, Torch Physical Attack

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Ideas: Body points, TAG/Light TAG attacks, Alternative Conventional Vehicle Critical Hits Table, Torch Physical Attack

Post by eLMsm »

I got these rules ideas from my Aussie friend:

Body points
Use a Character’s BOD points threshold to determine the total number of hits to decease said Character in a Total Warfare Tactical Operations Strategic Operations Interstellar Operations game.

TAG/Light TAG Attacks
TAG/Light TAG attacks as if it is a direct fire energy weapon (yes TAG/Light TAG should be compatible with a Targeting Computer, and said TAG/Light TAG must have power amplifiers if mounted on any unit or structure equipped with an I.C.E. engine) ; only use Tactical Operations LOS range rules for each and every TAG/Light TAG beam attack’s range and use the LOS range to-hit modifier regardless of TAG/Light TAG attack range used; multiply all terrain to-hit modifier(s) , terrain feature to-hit modifier(s) , and physical matter weather to-hit modifier(s) by +4 ; apply a +5 to-hit modifier in addition to all other applicable to-hit modifiers,for all Light TAG guided attack(s) ; and if TAG/Light TAG attack is a glancing blow, then apply glancing blow rules to all to TAG guided attacks homing in on said TAG/Light TAG attack; and if 2D6 to-hit roll(s) of TAG/Light TAG guided attack(s) result in glancing blow, then apply glancing blow rules to all said TAG guided attack(s). All TAG/Light TAG guided attacks going to a location, that TAG/Light TAG targets, can be automatically destroyed by AMS/Laser AMS. So perhaps is possible to have glancing blow rules applied twice for each TAG guided attack. Why isn’t TAG retermed TALB (Target Acquisition Light Beam) ? Quite curious.

Alternative Conventional Vehicle Critical Hits Table

5 or less: no critical hit
6 randomly determine a weapon jam/weapon malfunction in location hit
7 stabilizer in location hit is hit
8 randomly determine a weapon destroyed in location hit

Front, L/R Side, Rear, Turret/Rotor
9 driver hit, crew stunned, commander hit, turret/rotor slowed
10 brakes hit, sensors hit, brakes hit, turret /rotors jammed
11 steering hit, engine hit, heat sinks/ammo/bay hit, turret/rotor motor broke
12 or more: crew wounded, fuel container, fuel container, turret/rotors destroyed

Turret/rotor slowed: turret only is able to rotate one hex side per each 10 seconds game turn, xor rotor may only rotate at one movement mode consecutively less than current movement mode; successful driving/Piloting skill roll can undo either of those critical hits. Turret/rotor jam: successful driving/piloting skill roll required to remove jam so that turret/rotor may rotate. If a unit's brakes or steering is hit, then it can't deaccelerate itself or change its facing respectively. Turret/rotor motor broke: turret xor rotor useless until repaired. If that unit's heat sinks are hit, then all that unit’s heat sinks, that each mass more than zero tons and are inside said unit, are destroyed.

Torch physical attack
A torch attack follows the rules for a clubbing attack except a ‘Mech uproots a tree/girder on fire and hits a target with it. If target is hit apply 1 heat point to the target's heat scale; but if said target has no heat scale, then said target is set on fire.
Last edited by eLMsm on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Ideas: Body points, TAG/Light TAG attacks, Alternative Conventional Vehicle Critical Hits Table, Torch Physical Atta

Post by Steve Ronin »

those are some interesting House Rule suggestions.

sounds like anyone who games with your friend needs to have their own custom rules book.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Ideas: Body points, TAG/Light TAG attacks, Alternative Conventional Vehicle Critical Hits Table, Torch Physical Atta

Post by eLMsm »

Yeah, about 2/5 of all the custom rules I’ve played with have come from my Aussie friend. I think it would be great if there could be copies of custom rules books that could be published for BT players. How do you feel about the sensors critical hit (above) only take two critical hits (one per left side & one per right side) ?
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

I think the current canon rule for sensor hits is already at 2.
it just doesn't specify Right or Left.

I had a game where my entire head assembly, excpet for ONE point of internal structure and the cockpit itself had been blown away.
the GM houseruled, with other player approval, that I could continue; but with a +3 base to hit.
As I had an elite merc pilot driving a captured Clan Uller, i took that convertible into a heavy stand of trees and sniped from there, until the end of the scenario.

for our group, it's now known as the 'convertible rule'

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by eLMsm »

Oh.

Also, I like above rules also more than published rules counterparts. I’d like for multiple TAGs and multiple Light TAGs to each provide -2 to-hit modifiers and -1 to-hit modifiers, respectively, to sequentially guide semiguided missiles, laser guided b———s, Arrow IV missiles, and/or Copperhead missiles to targets. I think above Alternative Conventional Vehicle Critical Hits Table is easier to read than currently published counterpart.