Positive/Neutral/Negative Design Quirks rules ideas (edited Oct 17)

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Positive/Neutral/Negative Design Quirks rules ideas (edited Oct 17)

Post by eLMsm »

Note: I prefer that you don’t post any or all ASCII of officially published canon Design Quirk rule(s) in this topic (post a link to them of Sarna.net) ; and note that the recommended Rulebooks, for each of these rules that I recommend each of them to be published in based on each of them being simple or complex, are located in parentheses. If a Quirk, that is listed below, is has an asterisk by it, then that Quirk may be used by a structure. I encourage each of you to communicate with each other as to how much each of these quirks should cost. None of the following Negative Design Quirks are available to Clan unit(s) except for the Morehot Engine because the Clans want to establish a wonderous orderly society free from turmoil and chaos; Inner Sphere and/or Periphery and/or Mixed Unit(s) may also make use of said Morehot Engine Quirk. Note that each of the Negative Design Quirks below can be removed from a unit or structure by a technical skill roll provided that replacement part(s) are available, but Cluttered Interior and Smelly Interior each don’t need a technical skill roll for each or both to be removed from any unit or structure because each of those Quirks can be cleaned away. Should Design Quirks each be a Battle Value modifier and/or a BV multiplier instead of a Quirk Point(s) cost and/or a Character Vehicle Trait point(s) cost?

Positive Design Quirks:

Decorated (TO) *
The Unit has many medals on its exterior. Morale is increased for all friendly Characters that have LOS to said Unit.

Physically Appealing (TW) *
The Unit has a good appearance that makes said Unit physically appealing. -1 Initiative penalty (in next consecutive turn if said Unit isn’t damaged during current turn) , +1 Piloting (or Driving) penalty, +1 Gunnery penalty for: every opposing Character that has LOS to said Unit (or Structure) . Multiple modifiers (from different Units and/or different Structures) are cumulative, but Unit (or Structure) can only apply each of those modifiers once at a time to any opposing unit or structure.

Neutral Design Quirk:

Silly Appearance (TW) * (not available to any non-dezgra Clan Character’s Unit)
-1 Initiative Penalty, +1 Piloting (or Driving) penalty, and +1 Gunnery penalty for: every Character that has LOS to Unit that has this Quirk. Multiple modifiers are cumulative.

Negative Design Quirks For Artificial Intelligently (or only programmed) Controlled Motorized Vehicular Robotic And/Or Drone Units:

Corrupt Programming (TO) *
The Unit’s programming was not tested for negation of any attack(s) that it’s capable of doing, and so Unit attack(s) any unit(s) and/or structure(s) in range(s) starting with nearest unit and/or nearest structure provided that said Unit is capable of doing so. If multiple units and/or multiple structure(s) are nearest, then randomly determine which of those is attacked.

Door Closes/Stays Positioned/Opens (SO) *
Once per beginning of Physical Phase, roll 1D6 per door of said unit, and result of said door is that it: 1, closes; 2 to 5 stays as most recent position on or in unit; 6 opens.

Haywire Movement(s) (TO)
Roll two 1D6 per Movement Phase: one 1D6 result minus 1 equals number of hexes unit moves (if unit can move) , and can carry over to future turn(s) ; other 1D6 result is of hexside changing (see Advanced Movement Compass Diagram) unit changes (if unit can change its facing one or more hexsides) , and can carry over to future turn(s).

Hyperspace Uncertainty (IO)
Until K-F controller is replaced, any unit, with a functioning K-F Drive connected to said K-F controller that hyperspace jumps, hyperspace jumps 1D6 Light years off course; and roll 1D6 and consult Advanced Movement Compass Diagram to determine which vector said unit arrives via that said hyperspace Jump.

Insufficient Programming of AI (SO)
Roll 1D6 per beginning of each turn: Unit goes from current mode to another mode or not: 1, no effect; 2, retreating; 3, Evasive; 4, defensive, 5, neutral; 6, offensive.

Poor ECMing, costs directly proportional to ECM(s)' effectiveness(es) (TO) *
Unit’s ECM(s) make said Unit more vulnerable to being scanned.

Engine(s) Slow to Start (TO) *
When starting unit’s engine(s) , roll 1D6 per each of unit’s engine(s): result(s) is (or are) number of additional ten seconds turns necessary to complete engine(s) starting.

Slow Sensor’s Detectings (SO) *
Once per turn, roll 1D6 minus 1 per sensor per noun in effect radii of said sensor: result(s) is (or are) number of additional ten seconds turns necessary for sensor(s) to completely detect each noun(s) in effect radii of respectively said sensor; and so when using said sensor to attack any noun(s), apply a +10 to-hit modifier multiplied by: seven minus the total number of 10 seconds turn(s) per noun before turn of complete detection of said noun(s); if LOS to said noun(s) is (or are) lost, and that sensor is has to start over its detecting of said noun(s) because sensor has to reestablish LOS with said noun(s) , then that is possible.

More Negative Design Quirks (each unit does not have to be AI controlled, Robotic, and/or Drone) :

Armor Poorly Mounted (TW) * cost is simply unit’s armor BV divided by 2 in BV formula only
Whenever Unit’s armor takes damage, double that damage.

Armor Very Poorly Mounted (TW) * cost is simply unit’s armor BV divided by 4 in BV formula only
Whenever Unit’s armor takes damage, quadruple that damage.

Cheap Sink (TW) costs a number of points equal to total number of heat sink(s) with this Quirk, multiply by 2 if double heat sinks or laser heat sinks
During any turn a unit falls and collides or crashes as a result of said fall, any Heat Sink with this negative Design Quirk, that said Unit has, is automatically destroyed. Free heat sink(s) can never get this Quirk.

Clumsy ‘Mech Hand(s) (TW)
Every ‘Mech Hand(s)held weapon, that is carried by ‘Mech Hand(s) that has (or have) this Quirk, has a +1 xor +2 xor +3 to-hit modifier penalty in addition to all other to-hit modifiers.

Cluttered Interior (TW) * costs -4 to -40
Apply -1 to -10 initiative penalty, +1 to +10 modifier to all Piloting (or Driving) base target numbers, +1 to +10 modifier to all Gunnery base to-hit Numbers, and +1 to +10 modifier to all Technical target numbers. Modifiers don’t apply if Character(s) are not in unit.

Dezgra cost equals to total number of dezgra points said Unit has received from non-dezgra Clan Warriors (IO) *
This unit is considered dishonorable amongst the Clans. See published rules for encountering dezgra unit.

Difficult to Operate cost varies according to increments of Piloting or Driving and/or Gunnery (TW) *
This unit has difficult control hardware and/or software of said unit, and so add a +1 to-hit modifier penalty per increment of Piloting/Driving and/or Gunnery of said unit.

Engine Leaks (TO) * costs equals number of points lost per unit’s engine(s) per turn
The unit’s engine(s) leaks water (if fusion or fuel cell) or radioactivity (if fission) or petroleum or alcohol (if I.C.E. ) , and so at least 1 point per engine (of unit) per ten seconds turn is lost from engine(s) . Maximum starting points of aforementioned per engine equals engine rating multiplied by 20 or should it be 40?

Engine Shuts Off (TW) *
During any Movement Phase after Unit has moved, roll 2D6: if both of those dice rolls are equal, then Unit’s Engine(s) get shut off; otherwise ignore any other result of that 2D6 Roll during said Movement Phase(s) .

Engine Explodes (Self Destructs) (SO) *
Once per 10 second turn, roll 2D6: if a 2 is rolled, then Engine (if it has fuel), if that has this Quirk, explodes (a shutdown fusion engine won’t explode if it has this Quirk) ; otherwise ignore that dice roll.

Fragile Actuators ( ‘Mech only) (TW)
Whenever a ‘Mech with this Quirk ends its movement during Movement Phase, its controlling player makes a Piloting skill roll; if it’s successful, then the ‘Mech may continue moving normally; but if it fails, then controlling player makes a roll on ‘Mech Hit Location Table, and if a 2 is rolled on that table, then recollection for location, and then roll on Determining Critical Hits Table with an added modifier equal to MoF of said Piloting Skill Roll plus ‘Mech’s current attacker movement modifier, and then roll for critical slot(s) and any actuator(s) , that are rolled are instantly destroyed.

Morehot Engine (TW) * costs -1 to -9 points depending on number of free heat sinks not included, multiply by 2 if double heart sinks or laser heat sinks removed
The Unit’s Fusion Engine(s) has 1 to 9 free heat sinks that was or were not included per each of its engine(s) . Note that less free heat sink(s) does not increase the amount of fusion engine space for additional heat sinks that aren’t free.

Poorly Mounted Weapon (TW) *
Once per game and until repaired, roll 1D6 and add result as a positive integer to-hit modifier penalty in addition to all other to-hit modifiers for each attack said weapon makes.

Sloppy Paintjob (SO) * cost equals unit’s tonnage multiplied by initiative penalty multiplied by 1/20
The unit’s exterior paint appears sloppy and so it does not appear professional. So apply initiative penalty ranging from -1 to -10 to said unit and to all friendly unit(s) and to all friendly structure(s) of said unit that have LOS to said unit. Multiple initiative penalties can be cumulative.

Smelly Interior costs (TW) * costs -4 to -40
Apply -1 to -10 initiative penalty, +1 to +10 modifier to all Piloting (or Driving) target numbers (ignore if structure has this Quirk) , +1 to +10 to all Gunnery base to-hit numbers, and +1 to +10 modifier to the Technical target number. Modifiers don’t apply if Character(s) if are not in said unit; or if said Character(s) are in said unit, then said modifiers don’t apply if Character(s) are wearing pressure suits.

No Speeding (TW)
Unit cannot use Sprinting MP, Overdrive MP, or Super Thrust MP

Fishtails While Moving (TW) cost (simply divide Defensive and Offensive Battle Ratings each by 2 in BV formula only)
Double all Movement Points used by Unit to enters any hex(es) per turn.

Speedy (TW)
Unit only uses Sprinting MP, Overdrive MP, or Super Thrust MPs when moving.

Volatile Ammunition (TW)
During any turn a unit falls and collides or crashes as a result of said fall, any ammunition with this negative design quirk, that said unit has, automatically explodes.

Volatile Capacitor (TW)
During any turn a unit falls and collides or crashes as a result of said fall, any Capacitor with this negative design quirk, that said unit has, automatically explodes if said Capacitor has voltage.

Volatile Coolant Pod (TW)
During any turn a unit falls and collides or crashes as a result of said fall, any Coolant Pod with this negative Design Quirk, that said unit has, automatically explodes.'

Wimpy TSM (TO)
Any TSM or Industrial TSM or Prototype TSM critical slot, that takes a critical hit, gets its strength reduced by 1/6.

Broken Circuit Weapon (TO) *
During any turn a motorized vehicular unit is not immobile during Weapon Attack Phase, roll 2D6 for each weapon mounted on said unit, and if a 3 is rolled, then that weapon (or those weapons) , that has (or have) this Quirk, does not shoot during said Phase (or any other Phase if Opportunity Shooting is used, see TO Opportunity Fire) because the weapon(s) ‘ shoot circuit can’t be completed because of shoddy electrical wiring.

Short Circuitable Weapon (TO) *
During any turn a motorized vehicular unit is not immobile during Weapon Attack Phase, roll 2D6 for each weapon mounted on said unit, and if a 2 is rolled, then that weapon (or those weapons) , that has (or have) this Quirk, automatically shoot(s) once during said Phase (or during another Phase if Opportunity Shooting is used, see TO Opportunity Fire) and only shoots once in that Phase because of shoddy short circuiting electronic signal signaling weapon(s) to shoot, and use Tactical Operations Missed Shots rule to resolve the effects of that weapon (or those weapons) .

Ideas for Strategic Operations Design Quirks pages 193 to 199, allow:

Positive Quirks:
1, conventional fighters/aerospace fighters/small craft/DropShips to use the Battle Computer;
2, battle armor to use Improved Sensors/Improved Targeting;
3, motorized vehicular units to use Mult-Trac because the Partisan Heavy Tank has a multiple targets targeting & tracking system that enables it to track up to 200 targets;
4, Battle armor and aerospace fighters and conventional fighters may use Narrow/Low Profile, because the Sloth Battle Armor is made specifically with a low profile, and aerospace and conventional fighters each only have one elevation;
5, other motorized vehicular units may use searchlights, because an aerospace fighter pilot for example that's taking off from a ground area at night would use them to make sure a runway is clear of objects that can damage its takeoff wheels;
6, other units to use trailer hitches;
7, other motorized vehicular units to use variable range targeting.

Negative quirks:
Ammunition Feed Problem - replace "result of 10+" with "result of 4 or less" and "on a roll of 12" with "on a roll of 2".
Exposed Weapon Leakage replace "on a roll of 10+" with "on a roll of 4 or less".
Fragile Fuel Tank replace "result of 8 or more" with "result of 6 or less".
(these rule replacements allow these negative quirks to be in accordance with TO fumble roll of 2 rule)
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Positive/Neutral/Negative Design Quirks rules ideas (edited Oct 17)

Post by eLMsm »

How about No Torso Twist Negative Design Quirk instead be a Neutral Design Quirk for exchange of -1 modifier to Piloting Skill minimum desired roll (target) number? (TW)

Negative Design Quirk:

Missed Punch(es) Maybe Fall (TW)
While ‘Mech/ProtoMech/Battle Armor is on the ground, it instantly makes a Piloting Skill Roll to avoid falling when one or both of its Punching Attack(s) miss(es). Apply a +2 modifier per missed Punch Attack.
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by eLMsm »

Negative Design Quirks:

Shoddy Communications (TO) costs -1 per +1 increment of curved vector of indirect attacking to-hit modifier to a maximum of +10 indirect to-hit modifier; and costs also -1 per -1 decrement of Satellite Uplink and Command Console, but maximum of -10 initiative modifier penalty per each of them; said Quirk also imposes a one second time delay to a maximum of five seconds time delay of audio electronic communications and visual electronic communications.

Turret or Torso doesn’t rotate or twist (TW) Costs: -1 per -1 modifier to limit of -10 modifier
Whenever a Turret or Torso tries to rotate or twist, roll 2D6 and add above modifier; if 2 or less is result, then the Turret or Torso doesn’t rotate or twist, but if other number is rolled, then Turret or Torso does rotate or twist.
Last edited by eLMsm on Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

oookay.
ya lost me with the shoddy communications.
but I think there is already a rule for that, originating from the old CCG.

as for torso twist: decent idea. Covered more simply by the Poorly Maintained quirk.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by eLMsm »

I edited above Shoddy Communications Quirk.

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Positive/Neutral/Negative Design Quirks rules ideas edited May 10

Post by eLMsm »

Negative Design Quirk:

Spartan Control & Gunnery Room
A Vehicular Unit with this Quirk has less comfortable chair that masses less in exchange for slightly more difficult controlling and Gunnery of said Vehicular Unit. Decrease chair mass by 25kg. Apply to Character(s) that each use said chair(s) a +1 modifier to Piloting/Driving & Gunnery & Sensors base numbers in addition to all other applicable modifiers.