The sapphire valkyries

Post your Battletech stories and read & rate the tales of others!

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Typhoon, trboturtle

Good Idea?

Yes
40%
No
20%
add More
40%

Total votes: 5

Flaco
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

The sapphire valkyries

Post by Flaco » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm

This is a pirate/unit for hire. They like to get in and get out fast. If they are forced to do a defensive mission, they mainly use clan Long Range Weaponry.

They refit every mech they use with Clan tech, replacing the computers and targeting systems.

(uhhhh, to tell you the truth, I cant think of anything else, suggestions would be nice?)
Life is like playing a card game. Its not whether you get the best hand, its whether or not you play the worst hand well.

Centurion13
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Centurion13 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:11 pm

To be honest, sounds like nearly every Merc unit I have ever seen, played, or served alongside. I am sure there some that are not like that, but you haven't narrowed the field much.

Now. If they were to stick resolutely to IS armor, chassis, engines and heat sinks, eschew tarcomps and were internally divided into two squabbling camps which either strongly favored shooting the hell out of things at a safe distance or getting in there and mixing it up....

And if their women were pretty but not SI pretty, that would be kinda cool...

And if their leader was a huge fan of rare cigars and collected Old Terran pennies from the twentieth century's Australia....

Then yeah, we could talk.

Cent13

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Fri May 01, 2009 9:23 pm

Problem is, how do they get their hands on Clan weaponry? You are going to have to think of an extremely plausible reason for it.

Also, a lot of "home-built" merc units that fans make up have Clan weaponry so it gets a bit "same old, same old" to see another merc unit with Clan kit.

I am not trying to dismiss your idea but you probably would be better to set up the unit with some other twist and slowly build it up to having some Clan weaponry.

My rule of thumb for gaming merc units when I was a GM was;

Green units - no Clan or advanced tech.
Regular - 10% Clan or advanced tech.
Veteran - 20% Clan or advanced tech.
Elite - 50% Clan or advanced tech.

This was all predicated on the unit having had access to the tech in some manner, e.g. having fought a Clan unit or working for a house and having a good "Merc rating".

thatjimboguy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thatjimboguy » Fri May 01, 2009 9:50 pm

This isn't a bad idea for the unit itself. You can either build them up to having the Clan gear or come up with a reason why they have it. To get a decent story going though, you're gonna need a conflict. Ok, great. You've got a unit, they've got some gear, and you're going WHERE with it? What's it doing? Why is it doing it? That's what you'll need to come up with a story.
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Flaco
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Flaco » Mon May 04, 2009 10:23 am

Lets try this again, Because my ideas where before i realized the many cons to clan tech, and the unrealistic idea that pirates have alot of them (Thanks guys)

The Sapphire Valkyries branched form the Free RasalHauge Republic after the Ronin Wars. They were nearly decimated by the lyran defense force. They fled, heading towards the periphery with what few assests they had, a union dropship, and a lance of mechs. After a few years, they started their raids on the rasalhauge, striking poorly defended mech bays and armories. They made off with 1-2 mechs and around 50 tons of supplies. after 3 years, they were the Rasalhages most wanted. At the time of the clan invasion, they tried to fight back, but were decimated by the jade falcons. almost like the ronin wars, they were left with two unions and around a company of tanks and infantry.

Thats all I got for now guys, Give me more time and I will get more up
Life is like playing a card game. Its not whether you get the best hand, its whether or not you play the worst hand well.

thatjimboguy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thatjimboguy » Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Yeah, that sounds like you've got a solid base to work on. All of that combat against the Clans would be where they got their Clan tech too. Keep working at it. It's looking much better now.
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Mon May 04, 2009 9:35 pm

thatjimboguy wrote:Yeah, that sounds like you've got a solid base to work on. All of that combat against the Clans would be where they got their Clan tech too. Keep working at it. It's looking much better now.
I agree with this.

In fighting the Clans and capturing Clan tech, I would suggest that they would have to have won a few battles to get it. They may lose in the long run or scamper the heck off planet when it becomes apparent that its a go or die situation but if they win a few and they capture equipment in decent condition then they get to keep it.

An idea that was once suggested somewhere or other, wouldn't the unit be more likely to sell any Clan equipment they capture in order to get more advanced Inner Sphere tech or, at least, more updated tech. Clan tech may prove to be the bane of an Inner Sphere merc/pirate unit because it is hard to replace and when damaged may not be as easy to repair back into its original state.

So, they may opt for trying to get their hands on some basic in good condition Inner Sphere weaponry and equipment and sell the Clan tech.

You've discovered a few of the cons with using Clan tech the above may be just one more you hadn't thought of.

Looking like a good base so far, keep it going.

Flaco
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Flaco » Tue May 05, 2009 7:09 am

Actually yeah, I hadn't thought of that.
I was thinking that they would capture Maybe 1 or two weapon system sIF they won. I was thinking about the price of them though.
Plus, How come IS forces couldnt take down maany clan mechs, you'd think with the XL engines, they'd die more often?(Many Precious BT experiences)

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Thu May 07, 2009 2:04 am

Flaco wrote: Plus, How come IS forces couldnt take down maany clan mechs, you'd think with the XL engines, they'd die more often?(Many Precious BT experiences)
Well, here are some reasons:

1) Inner Sphere weapons were/are shorter ranged. Clan weaponry could really reach out and "touch" someone much more effectively.

2) Clan warriors tended to have better gunnery skills from the get-go. Constantly being trained and weeding out of the "duds".

3) I.S. XL engines take up 3 slots which is a kill when they all get destroyed even as a result of an explosion in a CASE location. Clan XL's take up only 2 slots which means that when the two slots are destroyed the mech is still up and running albeit hotter but it is still able to fight.

Clan XL's are smaller according to the "fluff" so they take up less critical slots. Nice if you are a Clan mechwarrior but not so nice if you are trying to take him down.

Flaco
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Flaco » Mon May 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Part 2: Pirate group turned defense force

After their near destruction from the clans, they realized that they had no chance of survival if they didnt make a decision. Either stay a pirate group, or answer the rasalhauges call for volunteers. They chose the latter, and despite their past, the RDF decided to let them join, and gave them one union dropship and 2 lances of medium battle mechs. They are assigned to one of the perimeter worlds.

Grunt213
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Grunt213 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:39 am

Got to say. I love the name unit's name.

Head for the Hills, Grandma!