Talon - A Dark Falcons Tale

Post your Battletech stories and read & rate the tales of others!

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Typhoon, trboturtle

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Talon - A Dark Falcons Tale

Post by Steve Ronin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Wonderful!
You're back.

good way to start the story back.

suggestion:
mini-summary.
aka
"when we last left our heros...."

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:35 am

Steve Ronin wrote:Wonderful!
You're back.

good way to start the story back.

suggestion:
mini-summary.
aka
"when we last left our heros...."
Well, good to be back.

I would suggest that the best way is to re-read the story. That's what I did :wink: :wink: :wink:

Here's the next part

Cheers

Rayo

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 am

Captain Shimon Rabat sat in his command chair on the Constellation, his right knee bouncing nervously up and down, as he considered his position. They had received zero response to their attempts at communicating with Jennings. The man’s communicator was working, they had pinged the device and confirmed it was active, yet not one positive reply was heard.

He could have been at the same celebration party as the ridiculous Captain of the Talon and his XO, but it was unlikely. The confounded ship had moved in line with instructions and was close to reaching its indicated position. Communication had been continued with the impudent bridge staff on the Talon, yet something just did not feel right.

“Get me Bridges,” he snapped to his staff, knowing that one of them would comply.

“She’s on the planet,” responded his XO, “cleaning up the last of the pitiful resistance there.”

“I want her and her team back in her dropship, and on their way here now. No excuses will be tolerated.”

“Sir,” replied the man in acknowledgement and moved to the Communications Officer, just as all hell broke loose.

The beacon released by Lupus under Seamus’ instructions was a strange device. Used mostly by smugglers, its main reason for being was to remain invisible to sweeps of the area, whilst transmitting important data on the whereabouts of illicit cargoes. To this end it contained both a time-delay module and a proximity actuator within its workings.

The time-delay function allowed the smugglers to remove themselves from its vicinity, so avoiding detection before the beacon’s activation, whilst still aiding their compatriots in finding the hidden merchandise. The proximity actuator functioned when the beacon came close to one of the hidden relay stations, placed conveniently throughout the system. A squirt of data was sent, captured and relayed, further adding to the confusion in finding the source of origin.

In this particular case, Seamus used both functions, allowing the ejected debris to float clear and then after sufficient time, activating the proximity feature. It was this second feature which had initiated the burst of sound which was instantly rebroadcast on the Dark Falcons general channel, at high volume, throughout the fleet.

“L-e-e-t-t-t-s get r-r-r-r-eady to r-r-r-r-r-r-umble….!!!”

The deep bass voice rolled out, followed by a strident beat which had ratings involuntarily tapping their feet.

It sounded once, twice and then a third time before dying away leaving an empty hole of silence. Those who were meant to hear, reacted, and the rest just grinned wondering who had had the stones to put one over on the Fleet.

Seamus heard the message at a subliminal level, his concentration complete in teaching his recalcitrant schoolchildren a lesson. He would have to restrain his usual instincts and just injure them a little. He needed them both.

Lupus looked a little embarrassed as he lined up next to Vera, he didn’t want to hurt Seamus but this was now a formal thing. Duty and honour must be satisfied. He gritted his teeth and clenched his fists. He would make it as quick and painless as possible.

Vera’s lip curled in a sneer as she watched Seamus enter the circle, she would make him pay for his insults and the demeaning manner in which she had been treated. Respect was something she deserved and she was going to beat it into him, however long it took.

Frakman watched silently. He knew it would be educational and just hoped that Seamus was lenient. He had no doubts over who would be the victor, he was just glad that he was not the one being taught a lesson.

Vera charged, just as Seamus knew she would, swinging huge blows with the single intention to crush and damage. She was relatively fast but it was Lupus he knew he had to watch. A step back moved him just out of range and he danced sideways, avoiding Lupus’ helpful chop towards his neck.

Seamus grinned as one of Vera’s swings connected with Lupus’ arm, there was a grunt of pain and Lupus swung a back-handed clip to Vera’s head. Predictable.
In two steps Seamus was inside Vera’s guard, smashing his elbow to the back of her neck. He spun and drove his heel into Lupus’ stomach, driving the big man backwards and away from Vera who he struck with two vicious blows to the kidneys. The damage she and Lupus had inflicted upon each other had weakened each of them and Seamus was merciless.

Vera arched back in pain and Seamus darted away, as the wheezing Lupus kicked out towards the Cadet’s knee. Again he span, leaping upwards and using the spin’s momentum to crack the heel of his boot into Lupus’ jaw, stunning the big man who fell to his knees. Behind him, Seamus heard the big Elemental roar in anger as she fed on her own adrenalin and stupidity, and decided that enough was enough. She would learn or not, but he would not waste any more time.

He let her encircle him with her arms, carrying him away from Lupus with the force of her charge. As she spread her legs and began to squeeze, he slammed the back of his head against her already damaged nose. Drooping down he struck twice, his elbows thumping into bruised flesh and she cried out as she let go. Seamus spun under her outstretched arms and whipped another elbow strike into her chin, snapping her head back. Normally he would have crushed her windpipe but she might still be of some use, so instead he hopped away and swept her feet from under her. As she hit the deck with a bang, he followed her down slamming her head into the metal floor two more times before her eyes rolled back into her sockets and she was quiet.

Lupus was watching him as he turned, his eyes clearing from the previous kick and anger beginning to suffuse his face. It was when he looked directly into the Cadet’s eyes he thought twice about what he would do. They were full of disappointment, yet Seamus’ facial expression promised only one thing. Lupus was slow, not stupid, so he dropped his arms, stepped out of the ring and knelt with bowed head.

“Smart man…” said Frakman, as Seamus moved to stand in front of Lupus, “about the only possible correct option. Pity though, I was enjoying the lesson.”

Seamus moved his head to stare at Frakman who gulped and clarified his statement,

Their lesson, I mean, Seamus, I can assure you that I’m a quick learner.”

“Good,” replied Seamus, grinning for the first time and slapping Lupus across the back of the head, “make sure you learn as well, next time I won’t hold back.”

“Now, “he said and pointed towards Vera, “clean up this mess and put it somewhere
safe. We are expecting visitors soon, and I want to make a good impression…”