ETERNAL - A Urionverse Story

Post your Battletech stories and read & rate the tales of others!

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Typhoon, trboturtle

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

ETERNAL - A Urionverse Story

Post by Rayo Azul » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 am

With this one, I am playing around with something new...so I NEED comments, feedback, criticism and maybe even direction. Be a part of the story and the Urionverse itself.....

What if there really was a cure for all disease, for continuous cell reparation and everlasting life. If you knew about it, would you tell anyone...or would you kill to keep it yourself?

Just suppose that in order to find the cure you had experimented on a group of vulnerable and desperate people...and one of them found out. You thought you'd covered your tracks, but in fact, the story is only just beginning...

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:29 am

York University
Jacid City
Tutuila

I know that there’s something wrong. Green fluid coming out of my nose has happened before; a quick flow, a couple of pills and within a day or two, everything’s peachy. Not today though. I was warned, but I knew best; drug trial equals quick money. Had I been drinking? Well, okay I had, but the University Doctor’s said that there was nothing to worry about. More fool me.

Fifteen minutes and nose running like a tap, blood now joining with my bright green nose flow. Pain slamming regularly in time with my heartbeat across the back of my neck. The bathroom, must get to the bathroom. Light on and....sh*t! Since when do I have red eyes? Not blood shot, but goddamn orange-red, shot with black specks. Feel sick...dizzy...blackness...closing...in...

...awake now. Who are all these people and why are there so many lights? I’m moving, no wait, someone’s pushing me down a corridor. Doors, there are so many doors. That music, what is it, and why do I have to count back...from...t-e-n...

...where has everyone gone? No, there they are, but they’re laid down on the floor. Getting worried now. Can’t move my arms and legs, the bastards have tied me down. Scream, someone will hear me...please!

...ah, thank God, someone’s heard me. That’s strange; they’re rigged up in plastic suits. Listen, it’s just a cold. Please, don’t leave me here...I beg you...

Protectorate Control
Three Kings Island
Tutuila

“You have a go!”

The sleek fighter-bomber banked right, waggled its wings and then dove sharply. Air screamed past as it reached optimum velocity, before righting itself. Bomb doors cracked open and five small spheres continued towards the ground, the plane now riding its afterburners with urgency.

“Will it work?” the uniformed man asked his companion.

“It has to,” replied the scientist, “there is no other option.”

They watched the on-board cameras as buildings, air-cars and people came into focus. There was no need for mechanical aid as the weapons did their work; coruscating light turned the half-dawn into full day, and below them a city died. Missiles spat from their bays, tracking and locking on to the fighter- bomber. These satellite systems had been launched as a protective screen, but worked just as well as deliverers of friendly fire.

“That’s that!” said the scientist, turning off his display.

“No-one knows?” the uniformed man seemed worried.

“No-one.”

The scientist was emphatic.

“Good!” said the soldier, taking his pistol from behind his back and firing twice.

Jacid City
Tutuila
Ten Years On...

Noise woke me. Unusual sounds which roared and echoed about the ruins. I knew they would be back, eventually. My faith had been rewarded. They were a little late in returning; freeing myself had taken time. The explosions had loosened my bonds, but it had been painstaking work. Eventually my efforts had been rewarded and clothed in my unflattering gown I had dug myself free. Once outside, the devastation awaiting me belonged in some disaster movie. I never did find out what had happened, although the rubble provided me food and clothing. Not something I want to go into detail about though.

There it was again. An engine, definitely, and coming from the direction of the wall. I had found the wall on my travels, as well as the huge gates. Someone had taken a lot of care in keeping us, well me, in. It had been then that I had realised how much time must have passed whilst I lay buried. You may be wondering why I had never questioned the number of days, weeks or even years of my sentence, for that is how I saw it. The real reason was obvious, insanity can be a friend in such times, and I freely admit that I lost my mind. Not now though. I had risen from my animal existence, evolving once more to some vestige of humanity and feeding myself on an energy sustaining diet of rage and vengeance.
Today, I would have my first answers and make a statement. They would pay in full.

Protectorate Control
Three Kings Island
Tutuila

“You can see from the local feed, that Jacid City has been repopulated by plants and animals. The fear that the terrorist attack, and the viral release itself, would make our erstwhile capital city a wasteland, was unwarranted.”

The speaker was a General in Protectorate uniform; medals, ribbons and badges of rank gave a festive look to his otherwise drab uniform.

“I, personally, feel vindicated.” He said, “As many of you know, I was involved in the cleansing operation, and our confidence in the power of Mother Nature and enforced quarantine has been rewarded.”

His audience watched the progression of the vehicle across the terrain. It picked its way round fallen buildings, rusted air-cars and piles of unrecognisable detritus. As the camera panned, the second APC came briefly into view, and there was sufficient backslapping and self-congratulation for everyone to feel included. Jacid City was a prize. The Protectorate had initially built here because of the rich mineral deposits nearby, and the enforced isolation had hurt them hard locally. Now, all would be well.

“What’s that?”

Screens mirrored not only visible but infra-red data, and a junior Inspector was pointing towards a large red blob, which moved rapidly across the display.

“Nothing,” said the General, dismissing anything which might spoil his triumph, “probably some animal.”

He was still congratulating himself as screams came from the first APC and the feed abruptly died.

MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by MechRat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Another interesting beginning... I shall read this again and see if I can offer any input.
(avatar by Knightmare)

"Beware the quiet ones, for you know not what they think." - me

OurBattleTech - A place for Alternate Universes to call home

Grunt213
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Grunt213 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 am

Looks interesting. I was thinking this was going to be a zombie story from the first few paragraphs. Large Red Blob.... Interesting.

Looks like I may have to visit the site more often.

Head for the Hills, Grandma!

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:34 am

You should :lol:

Check out smashwords whilst you're at it :wink:

Rayo

MechRat
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by MechRat » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 pm

Rayo Azul wrote:Check out smashwords whilst you're at it :wink:
Yes, you really should! :thumleft: :D
(avatar by Knightmare)

"Beware the quiet ones, for you know not what they think." - me

OurBattleTech - A place for Alternate Universes to call home

Rayo Azul
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Rayo Azul » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:36 pm

At the moment this one is working towards being a short story, alongside another I have called The Dark Wheel.

Watch this space...