microMechwarrior

Discussions relating to the CBT, MechWarrior, or Dark Age series of PnP board, Console, or PC games. Trade tips and strategies.

Moderator: Ravion Hawk

Chgowiz
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

microMechwarrior

Post by Chgowiz »

I announced this on my blog, but also wanted to share this to the Battletech/Mechwarrior forums and blogs that I can find.

I've written and released microMechWarrior - an adaptation of 1st edition Mechwarrior™ RPG, microlite20 and microlite20 modern. In 6 pages, it covers chargen, task resolution, combat, healing, equipment, advancement and conversions to use your characters within the Battletech™ boardgame. You can get the digest/booklet sized mMW.pdf here.

From the designer notes:

These rules are best used for quickly adding an RPG “rules-light” component to a Battletech game, for playing a convention game that combines RPG and the Battletech boardgame, or if you simply wish to have a quick alternative to the current Mechwarrior role-playing games. The idea is that these rules are simple and that the Game Referee will usually say “Yes” or “Roll dice” to most situations. Not all situations are covered by these rules; a certain amount of flexibility and Game Referee creativity needs to be employed.

To have the best “rules light” RPG/board game experience, my recommendation that you combine these “micro” rules with the Classic Battletech Introductory Rulebook and the Vehicle and Infantry Combat rules from the Classic Battletech Quick Start. No attempt has been made to include any of the other vehicle types, such as conventional aircraft, Aerotech or Starships. The GM should employ their best judgment and houserule as they see fit to make the characters work within the boardgame in a straightforward fashion. I’ve also left out a lot of things that are going to be campaign dependent, such as creating a unit, figuring out Battlemech assignments, dealing with salvage and a 101 more things – but these are all things that you as a GM would want to figure out either on your own or from existing source materials.

Now, having said all that, let me say that these rules ARE NOT FULLY PLAYTESTED! I've rolled up a few characters and run a couple of simulated combats, but I will be shaking these out over the next couple of months to prep for WinterWar. Your comments, suggestion and feedback will be immensely helpful and earn you some credits in the book. After looking at the size explosion of Mechwarrior RPG rulebooks (65 "mechanics" related pages in MW1 to 402 pages in Time of War beta), I wanted to go back to something simple and microlite-ish. So here you go. 6 pages of rules, 1 page of fluff/notes and one page with a paragraph of legalese.

Further legalese - Battletech and Mechwarrior are trademarks and copyrighted IP of Whizkids, FASA and Microsoft. This is a fan-derived set of houserules that I'm sharing for the general interest of others and to bring value to the Battletech game universe. In other words, I ain't makin' a dime on this and please don't sue the crap out of me.
Last edited by Chgowiz on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

shalom itay
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by shalom itay »

Well, I'm reading it and have a question:

a. "Stat Bonus/Penalty is Stat – 6/2, rounded up." I think it should be:
(Stat - 6)/2 right? Otherwise it is always stat-3.

b. The part with the skill roll need a bit of work to it.
It doesnt make sense that the SR is affected by the skill rank, because the TN is set already by the skill level. In addition I think it should be less random (make a 1d6 roll, not a 2d6). I'll about somthing tomorrow and post it here.

Chgowiz
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Chgowiz »

shalom itay wrote:Well, I'm reading it and have a question:

a. "Stat Bonus/Penalty is Stat – 6/2, rounded up." I think it should be:
(Stat - 6)/2 right? Otherwise it is always stat-3.

b. The part with the skill roll need a bit of work to it.
It doesnt make sense that the SR is affected by the skill rank, because the TN is set already by the skill level. In addition I think it should be less random (make a 1d6 roll, not a 2d6). I'll about somthing tomorrow and post it here.
Awesome! Thanks! I just play tested it this afternoon and tweaked quite a bit, but I'm going to hold off a day or two on updating the PDF for a bit more playing.

Regarding your questions -

a. Good catch! I'll update that.

b. Skills rolls work with the Stat setting the TN as the "raw material" and the skill level being the training and experience. The skill level does not set the TN.

The Stat setting the TN, Skill level modifying the TN is the mechanic from MW 1st ed. The 2d6 mechanic is in line with MW 1e as well as Battletech (e.g. Piloting checks, To hit, etc.)

shalom itay
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by shalom itay »

Chgowiz wrote:The Stat setting the TN, Skill level modifying the TN is the mechanic from MW 1st ed. The 2d6 mechanic is in line with MW 1e as well as Battletech (e.g. Piloting checks, To hit, etc.)
This may be true, however the formula (Skill roll = 2d6 + skill rank + situational modifiers) leaves to much in the hands of chance, the skill level is almost irrelevant IMO. All in all it is your call.

shalom itay
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by shalom itay »

Training -
please clarify the numbers in the table, do the characters, for example - Aerospace gets +1 in coor and know each per year of training, at the end of the training, etc?

Battletech stats-
You may want to update the base 6p/5g figures.
For example (FM:FWL page 127) may start with 7p/g6 (green).

Combat-
BP - When you say divided, is it evenly? I think the ratio should follow:
Torso>Leg>arm>head.

Movement- I think that something is wrong here, if a turn is 10 sec (I guess) then it is unlikely for a man to crawl 30 m.

Ranged Weapon Fire- You should write: subtract Coord Skill level and DEX bonus. What are the modifiers for movement?

Lets see how it works...my Mechwarrior has coord of 1 and dex of 7 (avg). the movement modifier is +2, the base is 6 and the range is medium (+2) . 6-1-7+2+2 = TN of 2. That wont be hard to equal on a 2d6 roll :lol:

Burst/Auto fire - there is a typo here since it says that both actions uses 10 rounds of ammo. I would say burst should use 3-5 rounds (roll 2 + 1d6/2, round up). For Auto 10-15 rounds (roll 9 + 2d6/2, round up).

Chgowiz
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Chgowiz »

shalom itay wrote:
Chgowiz wrote:The Stat setting the TN, Skill level modifying the TN is the mechanic from MW 1st ed. The 2d6 mechanic is in line with MW 1e as well as Battletech (e.g. Piloting checks, To hit, etc.)
This may be true, however the formula (Skill roll = 2d6 + skill rank + situational modifiers) leaves to much in the hands of chance, the skill level is almost irrelevant IMO. All in all it is your call.
That's true for a lot of Mechwarrior RPG. :) It's probably my enjoyment of older versions of D&D where players will come into actions without the use of dice. I'm the type of GM that tends to say "Yes" unless there's a chance of failure, then roll the dice.

The chance of succeeding against an avg TN of 8 (assuming you get an average Stat value of 7 or 8 ) being 41% prior to adding skill modifiers, each skill rank increases your chances by about 15%.

http://www.thedarkfortress.co.uk/tech_r ... _rolls.htm
Last edited by Chgowiz on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chgowiz
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Chgowiz »

shalom itay wrote:Training -
please clarify the numbers in the table, do the characters, for example - Aerospace gets +1 in coor and know each per year of training, at the end of the training, etc?
End of training. You start with a +1 in Know/Coor. I didn't really want to get into the whole training/life path thing - I tend to like my chargen under 10 minutes, especially at a con game or when it's going to be a small campaign arc.
shalom itay wrote: Battletech stats-
You may want to update the base 6p/5g figures.
For example (FM:FWL page 127) may start with 7p/g6 (green).
What is FM:FWL, please?

I got the base 6p/5g from 1st edition MW. So far, with the average figures given in the Battletech Quickstart and the Battletech Intro game, that tends to work OK. As GM, you can tweak it as you like! These rules are definitely meant for houseruling.
shalom itay wrote:Combat-
BP - When you say divided, is it evenly? I think the ratio should follow:
Torso>Leg>arm>head.
"Body Points (BP) = STR Stat x 10. Half of body points is in torso, rest is divided to head, L arm, R arm, L leg, R leg"
shalom itay wrote: Movement- I think that something is wrong here, if a turn is 10 sec (I guess) then it is unlikely for a man to crawl 30 m.
That might be true. Hard to move half hexes since I was going for Battletech scale maps. I am gearing these rules to allow Mechwarrior combat to take place with 'Mech combat - I'll give that some thought. Crawl was something I tossed in with a thought towards experimenting with cover.
shalom itay wrote: Ranged Weapon Fire- You should write: subtract Coord Skill level and DEX bonus. What are the modifiers for movement?
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I use the same modifiers as from Battletech - Infantry rules. (I'm looking at my Quick Start right now. If you haven't noticed, I tend to run pretty abstract with an eye towards making combat quick and fun.) I'll note that on the Combat overview.
shalom itay wrote: Lets see how it works...my Mechwarrior has coord of 1 and dex of 7 (avg). the movement modifier is +2, the base is 6 and the range is medium (+2) . 6-1-7+2+2 = TN of 2. That wont be hard to equal on a 2d6 roll :lol:

Yea, I caught that in playtesting! :lol: I changed it so that ranged combat reads as follows:

Code: Select all

Ranged Weapon Fire: Attacks only against targets within front 3 hex arc. Requires clear LOS to target. Targets can be in same hex as attacker. Base to hit is determined by DEX TN modified by: Subtract Coor Skill level; add Movement Modifiers; add Range Modifiers; add Terrain Modifiers. Attacking into a melee adds +2. Attacking a target that is in melee against shooter adds +4. The result is the target number. Attack roll of 2d6 must be equal or higher than TN to hit.
shalom itay wrote: Burst/Auto fire - there is a typo here since it says that both actions uses 10 rounds of ammo. I would say burst should use 3-5 rounds (roll 2 + 1d6/2, round up). For Auto 10-15 rounds (roll 9 + 2d6/2, round up).

I changed both so that they use double the ammo per shot. I also show on the Ranged Weapon table how many shots per round are fired.

If you're interested, these rules are getting changed/tweaked from playtesting and feedback. My main goal is to keep them at 2 sheets of paper (booklet printing, digest sized makes it 8 pages of rules - right now we're at 7 plus a page of blah-blah.. so I can strip some more out...) for con games and simplicity. I can send you an updated copy from weekend playtesting - my email is chgowiz at gmail dot com.

I would also say if you'd like to see where I got my inspiration from, check out microlite20.net - it's a very compatible d20 system with the WotC SRD in 2 pages. I like simple games like that - where I can GM in freedom.

Chgowiz
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Chgowiz »

@shalom itay - btw, thank you for the feedback! I'm glad someone's looking at things with a critical eye - although this might be suited best for con games and/or smaller games or where people don't mind a more abstract/fast game - I'd still like it to flow well!

Chgowiz
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Chgowiz »

The rules have been updated from playtest and feedback. Their permanent URL/location is now here: http://oldguyrpg.blogspot.com/2009/10/m ... rrior.html

Chgowiz
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Chgowiz »

I just ran a convention game at Winter War 37 using the microMechwarrior rules (and an adaptation to the Quick Start Battletech rules that included heat and jumping) and it went great! The RPG part went very well, with combat, puzzle solving and interacting with enemies. I have a couple of modifications to make mainly for armor values but overall, I'm pretty pleased with how the rules worked.