CN9-AL Centurion / 23rd Arcturan Guards

The Miniatures Showcase. Display your works of art and conversions.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk

Cazaril
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

CN9-AL Centurion / 23rd Arcturan Guards

Post by Cazaril » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Personal Notes:

To those that might be wondering, No, I’m not dead yet... Nor have I given up painting (even thought it’s been over 4 months since I last posted anything)... What has happened, is a mix of RL and some BattleTech projects that have nothing to do with picking up a brush.

At some point last year, I started to try and define my BattleTech universe (The Caz-a-verse) a little better. This included explanations of where Mechs were being produced and a back ground that would cover the unseen, the reseen, and whatever other major re-imaging that might exist. Originally I tried to do this as I completed each mini, but I got tired of trying to recreate the “thought-process” wheel of how I came up with my decisions, so I poured tons of time into the project in order to complete it. What resulted from that was a unique (and possibly controversial) production map of the Inner Sphere in 3025, that tells me which facilities exist, where they are, what they produce, and where the components come from (think Objective Raids, but without all the oversights). Needless to say, this brought my painting to a crawl.

Then, RL kicked in... I decided to go back to school and finally get my degree... With a heavy course load, weeks would roll by where all I had time to do was glance over at my workbench. I finally managed to get a little spare time, so I decided to finish up at least one of the projects I had sitting there.

About the Mini:

This mini was requested by Burning Chrome. Back in January of this year, when I posted pictures of my TDR-5SS Thunderbolt, Burning Chrome asked if I would tackle a CN9-AL Centurion for my 23rd Arcturan Guards. After I looked it up, I figured why not. The only problem was, that I only really planned on painting 5 companies of Mechs for the Guards, and I already had them all picked out... The upside was since I had other projects planned first, I’d have plenty of time to figure it all out... Well the answer came with the Caz-a-verse Project. As I redefined my universe, I realized that some of my picks weren’t as good as I’d have liked, so I rearranged about a quarter of my plans and found a home for it.

The Paint:

I must say, I’m not wildly happy with the paint job this mini got. I’d like to blame it all on some of the techniques I tried, but I think part of it is that I’m a bit rusty from not painting much this year (5 minis for the whole year, that’s bad even for me).

Having said that, I did try a few things on this one... Not much of a dry-brush/washer, I tried a variation of my normal technique on the heat sinks and shoulder ball joint... And think it came out only so-so at best... Also, I tried to let a little more of the grey show along the bottom edge of the panels and in the shadowy areas, and I’m undecided if I like the look... But you can’t get better if you don’t try new things...

The Modifications:

The CN9-AL Centurion is actually a very easy conversion. The AC/10 is removed, in favor of a Large Laser and Small Laser (from what I can tell, both still in the right arm), and truth be told, you could probably just tack something on to the top of the existing gun barrel/arm and call it a day (which was the way I used to do things). But I like the variants to be distinctive, so I re-built the right arm. Even having done that though, it’s still pretty much a stock Centurion with a new arm. So I did what I normally do and chopped it up...

Overall, I do like the pose. The biggest exception is that I got the right shoulder ball joint too low, but otherwise I’m happy with it.

Of everything I did, I really think my biggest challenge came from the missile rack. What I wanted to do was add missile tips with plastic rod and also the doors from the original artwork. But the holes are very close together, and not only don’t lend themselves to the process. As to the doors, I never managed to get them to look right and I noticed that they had been dropped from most of the other Centurion images. So instead I overlaid a bit of greenstuff and pressed in the missile tips (much like I did on the Longbow I did late last year)... This all may seem trivial, but I love adding details like this and only regret there wasn’t more I could do.

Fluff:

While the CN9-AL Centurion is produced by Corean Enterprises at their facility on the Federated Suns capital of New Avalon, it has been a longstanding practice of the LCAF to convert some of the CN9-As they possess into this excellent guerilla units. With the start of the Succession Wars, and owing to the fact that Centurion manufacturing rests solely in the Federated Suns, it became increasingly difficult for Lyran forces to maintain and repair their Mechs. As more and more Centurions were stripped for parts, the LCAF was in danger of losing this Mech all together. It savior came in the form of the 3020 FedCom Accords, which opened the door for military, scientific and economic exchange between the two states. With new Mechs and a wealth of replacement parts finding their way into the Commonwealth, many Lyran units are once again able to include the Centurion within their ranks.

Pictures:

Ok... Blah, blah, blah aside... Here are the pictures...

Comments, suggestions and stealable ideas welcome...

Group Picture:

With the addition of the Centurion, this brings my 23rd Arcturan Guards up to a total of 12... Including 2 complete lances (the first two rows), and four individuals. While technically I’ve painted 13, the missing one was auctioned off to help a friend.

The BattleDroid FLC-4N Falcon (back row, second from right), was actually a commission that I did for someone else. After I posted the last group picture, he asked if I was interested in buying it back... So he got to come home to be with his mates.

Sadly, the picture shows that almost all of them are suffering from ambering of the snow. This was made even more clear when compared to the stark white of the unused snow I sprinkled down for the picture... Not sure what to do about that.

Light Box:

As a side note, I finally got around to building myself a light box. The dimensions were specific, as it had to be able to be set up on a TV Tray I sometimes use as a spare work area, and be able to fit on the shelf I planned to store it on... Because of the “TV Tray” requirement, it also had to have a way to support the clamp lights, as I would have no other means to do so... I think it came out well, and the Centurion is the first mini to use it.

Because of the close placement of the lamps to the linen, I went with “Natural Daylight” 13W CFL Bulbs (60 watt equivalents), to help keep the heat down... Whether or not this keeps from browning the linen, I don’t know yet...

Anyway, I thought maybe someone would like to see the new light box too, so I’ve included a picture... I guess all I need now is to finally break out my scenery kits, and build myself a decent background... Although I’m afraid that will have to be a project for another day.

Caz

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: CN9-AL Centurion / 23rd Arcturan Guards

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 am

One of the best reposes,custom builds and paint jobs i have seen in a long time, Caz its good to see that you can still find some time to provide us with some stunning work. 8) its good to see you back no matter how brief your stay will be... :D Zac

Cazaril
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Cazaril » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:50 pm

It's not that I'm back for a moment... It's more like I just need more moments to paint...

And I was wondering when you were going to see this... I even thought about you turning the first group shot of four into your screen saver when I took the picture of the twelve of them...

It's funny... This project was suppose to be just the original 4... Then it turned into a Battalion... Now it's up to 5 companies... At the rate I'm going, I should just accept the fact and realize I'll end up with the whole regiment... Of course I'd also be delusional if I thought I was going to live long enough to finish it too (5 minis this year!? Even if all I did was do the 23rd, I'm not sure I have enough time)...

Caz

Choppa 6
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Choppa 6 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:31 pm

YAY!~ CAZ!!!!!!!! I wish I had more time as well. But for the moment, I am back as well. Your 5 mini's trump my zero mini's this year! That Centurion is brilliant and just Bad ass!

OLDZOAT
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by OLDZOAT » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 am

:shock: :D 8) What can write here. Great work as alway. Thanks for the pic and tips.
ImageImage

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:52 pm

besides the gorgeous minis, what I like best about this thread is the picture of his photography setup. :thumleft:

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE