Facebook killing LotB and BTU???

Get your non-Battletech related angst out in the open here, and talk freely.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Facebook killing LotB and BTU???

Post by Ravion Hawk » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:45 am

I'm a member of the Battletech International group on Facebook and I'm seeing more of what used to be on LotB and BTU popping up over there than at the forums. Is this possibly a sign that the two forums may be in their death throes?

I only ever see normal activity over at LotB in the Trade sub forums with the occasional posts in the Knee-jerk Saloon.

Here seems to have pretty much dried up. We had the HeroChip/nicewitch/WilliamTuckness shenanigans, but since then there has been virtually no activity.

Any thoughts? Do any of you feel the same way?

I really don't want this to be the end.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Facebook killing LotB and BTU???

Post by Dread » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:40 pm

People drift in and out, is my guess. Got a lot of lurkers that don't post on a regular basis, a lot of folks whose lives have led them elsewhere. Some will come back, others won't.

Battletech has honestly been in its death throes for years. Somehow new life keeps getting pumped into a corpse that should have rotted away a long time ago. The hobby just has too much competition between other Table-tops games and video games. Perhaps when the economy actually does recover, and people actually have more money to spend on non-necessities, this place will start seeing an upswing again.
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:51 pm

Having several jobs that keep me busy six days a week I don't have the time I used to have back in the heydays of BTU and LOTB. I also got away from BT because of my schedule and the fact that there are few players near me. My enthusiasm waned from working so much and being unable to play.

I think the table top version has to port over to computer, iPad, tablet to survive. I had high hopes for the iPad game, so much promise but so buggy still, however that proved to be not what I was hoping for. Other electronic ventures are not to my tastes. So I am left looking for a good replacement still.

BTU was a pretty close group back in the day. Many were the driving force behind the activity here but there aren't as many of that group around so it has become much quieter. I miss it but time is a factor for me and for many of us I think.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12 am

I'm still here.

miss a lot of my old friends.

man, we had some Awesome discussions and contests back in the day.

I spent an afternoon digging thru the archives on Christmas.

but I'm trying to stay out of the depressing memory rut.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

Speck
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Speck » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:09 am

Everyone know I have not been around much on BTU, though I never really was even in its hey day. Always on the backend of it. But yeah I think those facebook groups have made a dent in what once was traffic for BT fan sites. Also did not help a few years of major backend issues for the old BTU site and it took me longer then I wanted to get btu upgraded. I guess we just have to figure out what to do to get more traffic and activity to the site.
Site Administrator of Battletech Universe and Iron Wind Metals

"If you want Peace then you must prepare for War."

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:19 am

I know a few have been booted off Facebook because they refuse to use their real names.

They get locked out and told that they need to change their name and provide photo ID to validate their accounts.

Most of my friends that also have accounts here have mentioned log in problems as to why they are not here.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."