a right to worry?

Get your non-Battletech related angst out in the open here, and talk freely.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

a right to worry?

Post by Dart Omega » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:38 pm

a Female friend of mine is thinking about going to canada to meet up with her 'boyfriend' for a week

the thing is they have been talking almost a year about him coming here to the states as he has no family to speak of, a boss he hates(constriction worker) and no reason to actually stay there.

here is the thing though,
he keeps telling her that he wants to come here for a visit and to look around for a home and that he would live in the states.

the problem is he keeps saying that his country is dragging it's heels on getting his visa as he already has his passport.

and every time he says he wants to come he gives her excuses on why he cannot come.

then there is the fact that she would have no way of contacting her family as her phone doesn't work there and she will be alone and unprotected.

she can handle herself however she is only 5'8 and he is 6 feet and well he is a construction worker and that gives me a bad vibe.

she is a good friend of mine and that is why I am worried.

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: a right to worry?

Post by Ravion Hawk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Convince her to give an excuse along the lines that her Passport is being "investigated" and that she can't leave the states right now until she gets it sorted out.

Just have her come up with some story about how screwed up our homeland security is and that they have a habit of investigating the wrong people.

The second part should be easy to play off since it DOES happen.

If he has a passport, he can visit here. He needs the visa to work and live here.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Dart Omega » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:58 pm

thank you for your advice, after two and a half hours of talking and a few days of her not talking to me managed to convince her to do what you suggested and from the sounds of it he is willing to wait to visit her down here.

id didn't hurt that I told him a little white lie about having friends from BT who lived in Canada ;)

not sure if it is actually true or not that we have anyone there but what he doesn't know won't hurt anyone, lol.

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:50 am

Dart Omega wrote:id didn't hurt that I told him a little white lie about having friends from BT who lived in Canada ;)

not sure if it is actually true or not that we have anyone there but what he doesn't know won't hurt anyone, lol.
I could name a few from LotB alone.

It wasn't really a white lie, it was a mysterious truth.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:20 am

Why would Canada be issuing him a visa for the United States? If he is going for a visit he doesn't need a visa! If he wants to work then the US would be issuing him a work visa (a "green card" as it once was called). I highly doubt he'd be getting a work visa if he was a construction worker unless he had a sponsor. Not the skill set the US is looking for these days.

I call this one suspicious.

No, I'd be telling her that this guy needs to come down to visit her first because her family would like to meet him or tell him that she is coming but her father/brother/male friend is coming too.

sorry for the late reply, I was on holiday and didn't get a chance to log in at BTU.