Dread's Jukebox

Get your non-Battletech related angst out in the open here, and talk freely.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

Dread
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Dread's Jukebox

Post by Dread » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:20 am

Hey guys,

For a while now, I've been enjoying some expanded musical tastes while reveling in the old 80's hair band stuff that I grew up with. Over the years, I've gained an enjoyment from bands like CCR and the Doors, but I've also found myself going back farther to The Mommas and Poppas, and Abba. This comes along with my more usual tastes of Five Finger Death Punch, Korn, and so on. Recently, I've discovered a new band. Well, new to me, anyway. Eluveitie.

Man, these guys do the scream stuff like nobody's business, and when I'm in the right mood I like that. But here's where it gets freakin' cool. These guys mix in pipes, lutes, bagpipes, and more, including something called a hurdy gurdy. I had never heard of it, and even after looking it up, I still have no real clue what it is. All I know is that the hard rock scream mixed with this stuff is, well, freakin' cool. They also do stuff that is more musical, and not so screamo. So, if you have never heard of them, I recommend you guys listen to "A Rose for Epona" and "Inis Mona".

Now, what really sparked this post and subject matter was the fact that I was just introduced to an amazing cover or a song that was already just incredible. We've all heard bad covers of good songs, but sometimes you find good ones like Korn's cover of "the Wall", or FFDP's cover of "House of the Rising Sun" or "Bad Company". What I just was introduced to blew my mind, and I still have chills from it.

I had heard Simon and Garfunkel's "Sound of Silence" for decades. Loved it. Great, iconic song. Then I heard it covered by a group called Gregorian, and I was 'gator-rolled and monkey stomped into a musical joy-gasm. Flat out amazing hearing that song sung in the style of the Gregorian chants. As good as that was, it was not the best cover of that song that I have ever heard. No, sir. Tonight, I heard it covered by Disturbed. That's right, hard rocking, drum smashing, guitar wailing, Disturbed. Guys, I'm not going to say anything else about it. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/8ZDqVdGGrjE
"Ejection seats are for wimps! Real men ride 'em to the ground!" -- conversation overheard between a VTOL pilot and an aerojock.