Clan Tactics....

Discuss general gaming issues NOT specifically related to MechWarrior, MechCommander, MechAssault or BT PnP games

Moderator: Ravion Hawk

Albrecht Jorgensson
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Clan Tactics....

Post by Albrecht Jorgensson » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:44 pm

I realize that there is a thread for this already, but what I'm asking for here are Clan tactics. I'm not the most... tactical person right now ('smart like dumptruck' as the saying goes) and I'd like to learn more about Clan tactics. I have nearly every clan mech, so that won't be too much of a problem, but all I need to learn now are some new tricks. My new star config consists of: A Light (Dasher/Solitare/Ice Storm) two Mediums (Pouncer/Griffen IIC 3/Widowmaker/Hellhound 2/Stalking Spider), a Heavy (Thresher/Burrock/Grizzly/Whammy IIC 3) and a Assault (Demolisher/Phoenix Hawk IIC 3/Kodiak).

Some of my old tactics included:

Running the Dasher or the Solitare through cover and pouncing on the back arc of anything that dared to leave it open.

Use the Mediums to draw out my opponent's mechs and hammer them with firepower from other sources.

The Heavy mech would usually be a kind of 'firebase' to start opening up it's targeted opponent, where as the assault would simply find the biggest threat and go open it up.

That's my usual tricks of the trade, as it were. Anyone think they can help make things better? I DO like to play honour rules, but in the Jihad era using them gets you killed 9 times out of 10.... or atleast the way I use them it does.
How do I spell 'Politics'? C-O-W-A-R-D-I-C-E

Image Image
My Blog: http://thetwitcherspulpit.blogspot.com/

Hellboy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Hellboy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:08 am

one tactic that i can give you is to let your LRMs do the talking for you. they can reach farther than normal IS ones

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:51 am

The clans fight, weelll...strange. A pilot will pick one target and challange the pilot. It would sound something like this: "To the pilot of the Awesome, this is Point Commander sam of the Jade Falcons and I challange you to honorable combat. Do you accept?". Or something like that. All other clanners will not attack that mech, unless more than one IS mech attacks the challanger, then all gloves are off, and you can use what ever tactics you want. Except for physical attacks, the clanners do not use them.

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

[fullalbumimg]3303[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]3543[/fullalbumimg]

Hellboy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Hellboy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:03 am

if you wanna be really formal (as a jade falcon :lol: ) use ur clans batchall.

Arikas

Post by Arikas » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:37 pm

thecircus wrote:The clans fight, weelll...strange. A pilot will pick one target and challange the pilot. It would sound something like this: "To the pilot of the Awesome, this is Point Commander sam of the Jade Falcons and I challange you to honorable combat. Do you accept?". Or something like that. All other clanners will not attack that mech, unless more than one IS mech attacks the challanger, then all gloves are off, and you can use what ever tactics you want. Except for physical attacks, the clanners do not use them.

Jeff
That is called Zellbragin (sp?)
Basically depending on the clan it can mean many things.
a) A fight to the death
b) A fight till one mech or the other yields
c) A fight until someone intereferes, causing a melee
d) A fight until the target leaves line of sight, at which a new challange is made to a remaing mech

The chalangee (person being chalanged) or if it is a Star vs Lance (or star) may decline. In the case of Star vs Lance (or Star) The Chalangee may offer an alternative.

Eg.

Clan - "This is Star Commander Bob, Challanging the first lance of your company"
Lance - "This is Major Alex of the First Hespestus Company, Decline your challange and offer instead the second lance"

The Clan warriors will more often than not accept, and the only time they will counter challange is if the Lance is two weight classes larger, or star is one class larger.

But be where when doing this because some people may challange your bigger mechs, and while it is supposed to be one on one combat may spill around them, and they might take the change to shoot it in the back (thus causing melee or a free for all)

Arikas

Post by Arikas » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:38 pm

Hellboy wrote:if you wanna be really formal (as a jade falcon :lol: ) use ur clans batchall.
Oh man that would indeed be a sight to see. Acutally for the table top game I am thinking of playing as Snow Raven, and actualyl considered doing that.

Shadow Slayer
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Shadow Slayer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:22 pm

Arikas wrote:Basically depending on the clan it can mean many things.
a) A fight to the death
b) A fight till one mech or the other yields
c) A fight until someone intereferes, causing a melee
d) A fight until the target leaves line of sight, at which a new challange is made to a remaing mech

e) A fight until the target is no longer precieved as a threat, or worth fighting against. i.e., a mech gets all his weapons blown off or ammo ran out.

D is not nessesarily true. As running away in hit and run tactics is still viable and pretty much nessesary when faster light mechs attempt to take out a larger opponent. (Expecialy with 3050 light mechs.) Just ask the hellions. Thats pretty much exclusively what they do. A more accurate version of this concept would be if the mech left the engagement area, or is actively disengaging and running away from the mech. (Pretty much stays out of line of sight for MULTIPLE turns attempting to tie down slower and larger mechs.

OK, also AJ, remember that the Clans have VERY specific Ideas as to what qualifies as a front line unit compared to a second line unit. It is a VERY rare thing to see Front line mechs working with Second line Mechs in the same star. (Thank the clan stubbornness and pride for this.) Front line mechs are the Omnimechs they use, while Second line mechs are standard mechs. Like the IIC lines and models like the Arcas, and Solitaire. So just remember that when forming a clan force.

The clan dueling rules would completely void any tactic that you might want to utilize. As if you where Truely playing with dueling rules, you would ask your opponent what he is feilding and then make sure that you do not exede that amount of mechs on the field. (i. e. if your opponent says he is only defending with one mech out of his force, Clans will never feild MORE forces then an IS opponent, so you would be expected to take a single mech or less onto the field to deal with your opponent.

The best thing to do with dueling rules is to "Tie down, then finish off." With combos that are meant to set up a finishing blow for your clan warriors. The trick with clans vs IS is to "Take the big ones out first" while against the Clans, you want to "Take out the Fast and hard hitting ones" first. Against IS where if you play with BV you will be almost universaly going up against a numerically superior force. The good thing is with Dueling rules, you will not have to worry about the excess opponents attacking till they find it in their best interest to break the dueling rules, in which case you can then lay waste to them freely. Use things like a Solitare, Hellion, or other light mechs with big weapons and challenge their slow assaultmechs, or mechs that RELY on long range weapons with not many close range weapons (IS LRM boats being the most venerable to this.) to get within those minimum ranges and start punching big holes in their armor. For the most part, you can take some of the more specilized mechs easily, but for most big mechs made after 3050, they will have at least SOME short range weapons to deal with pests like you. Do not worry too much about this though. Keep at it and if you win, good for you, if you die, as long as you have punched enough big holes in the big mechs, comming in with a duel from one of your own big mechs should finnish the other opponent off pretty easily, and hopefully the lighter mech did enough damage to limit the opponents ability to counter attack with much force. Against Clans, you want to make sure that you PREVENT your opponent from doing this tactic to you, so you are going to want to take out their quick hard hitters as fast as you can.

The BIGGEST thing to remember with IS opponents are is that if they start loosing, THEY WILL BREAK THE DUELING RULES. Every clan player MUST prepare for this. So despite the fact that your mechs are not obligated to form battle lines, and could theoretically dart right through an opponents line without threat of attack from anyone but his opponent, THIS is something you will want to AVOID. By seperating your forces to dart after their individual opponents, you are breaking your line and allowing your opponent to route you into a position where they can betray you, and then have your forces both scattered and surrounded.

To avoid this, you must remember that Clan Mechs have a VERY big range advantage over their IS opponents. DO NOT take alot of mechs that rely on hard hitting Close range weapons like AC 20's, Pulse and Heavy lazers. Because all though these weapons are deadly, the reliance on you to close in on the enemy gets rid of the clans biggest advantage of superior range. And as soon as you have clan mechs that MUST close in on an enemy, your opponent already has you. Use things like ER lazers, and stay at that sweat spot where you as a clans man can stay at medium range, but your opponent is at long rage to rely hammer at him from long range. (Your opponent will then have to close on you instead of visa versa. If your opponent retreats for a few turns. DO NOT PRESUE to aggressively. As long as he is out, you are out, but your opponent is not going to want to risk taking pot shots at a clan line that is united. The trick is to always assume that they are going to betray you. And KEEP that battle line formed. Even though your dueling, make sure you have two or three mechs have a bead on your opponent, as this will not only deture him from breaking the dueling rules, but when they do, you can rain down 2-3 clan mech's worth of firepower down on them, and systematicaly pick off their mechs one after the other.

Max Francis Vard
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Max Francis Vard » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:00 pm

The guy above me made a number of good points. I can't think of too much more to say that isn't just regular advice enhanced by the fact that you have clantech.

Balancing by Battle Value, you're usually going to be outweighed by your opponent. Since no amount of clantech is going to raise your maximum armor; weapon range, mobility, and superior pilots are the things you need to look at and play for every advantage they give you.

With the 'mechs you've chosen, it seems like you're leaning more towards mobility than range, so it seems like the tactics you've got goin'--drawing out opponents piecemeal to group-pound them individually--are working for you. If you wanted to get more clanlike, the suggestions about single combat are probably the best one could offer.

I might also suggest slapping some ECM on your Firemoth, especially if you're fighting in the Jihad era. It's only one ton and it cuts down a lot of the C3 and Artemis IV that might be aligned against you or your starmates.

Hellboy wrote:one tactic that i can give you is to let your LRMs do the talking for you. they can reach farther than normal IS ones

Er, what?

Dark Sun Drakon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

It 's how well you roll over your gunnery and piloting skill

Post by Dark Sun Drakon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:26 am

Battle tech takes a lot a patient playing and skill.
How close you are to your repair pool to repair your battle mechs.
I use my light mechs as recon and never use them for combat.
Medium mechs should be used in city fighting and heavy mechs
and assault mechs should be used as last defence .
Heavily defended base.
Greetings to those that favor the Draonise Combine House.
In do time I will be putting pictures of my Battle tech unit
and my miniature styro foam hexagonal Battle tech dioramas
on to this website soon. Later !

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: It 's how well you roll over your gunnery and piloting s

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:53 am

Dark Sun Drakon wrote:Battle tech takes a lot a patient playing and skill.
How close you are to your repair pool to repair your battle mechs.
I use my light mechs as recon and never use them for combat.
Medium mechs should be used in city fighting and heavy mechs
and assault mechs should be used as last defence .
Heavily defended base.

There are so many military tactics that can be applied and used in Battletech and many players have there own ideals and technics of how they should or should not be used, if all your cookies were in just one jar this game would be very boreing and woudn't have stood the raveges of time as it had done, i never stop getting surprised at what some folks may attempt to do in their next turn or cease to amaze me at what cunning plans they have up there sleves that have yet to be put into action... :D

Dark Sun Drakon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

I do favor the Clans.

Post by Dark Sun Drakon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 am

My battle tech group of the Draconis Combine made a secret alliance with Clan Nova Cats.
They won a Trial of Position against the Smoke Jaguars .Our alliance took the battle to
the Federated Suns and nearly wiped them out.We wanted to see what would happen if
we changed the beginning of the Clan invasion .Meaning that the Battle of Wolcott never happened
and the Battle of Luthien never happened .

Dark Sun Drakon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

The Battle of Luthien.What waste of good Clan Battle mechs.

Post by Dark Sun Drakon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:19 am

The reason why the Clan Smoke Jaguars lost on Wolcott is because the House of Draconise Combine
hung large strips of metal to confuse the targeting sensors in the tress to confuse the Clans battle mech
pilots.No offense to the Clan Smoke Jaguars ,Dorian Wirth lost to hover tanks and anti mech infantry.
And the jungle planet of Wolcott had tiger traps that trapped the Clan Smoke Jaguars battle mechs.
That is a good tactic by using anti mech infantry and hover tanks to ware down your enemy.
The Clan Smoke Jaguars over confidence got them defeated.

Dark Sun Drakon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

About the Draconise Combine supporting the Clan's.

Post by Dark Sun Drakon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm

I favor the Draconise Combine as much as the Clan Nova Cat's and the over confident Smoke Jaguar's .
We had the Smoke Jaguars and the Nova Cat's challenge each other in a Trial of Position.The Nova Cats win and take
charge of the Smoke Jaguars.