Colours 2008 Wargame Show

Discuss general gaming issues NOT specifically related to MechWarrior, MechCommander, MechAssault or BT PnP games

Moderator: Ravion Hawk

Paint it Pink

Colours 2008 Wargame Show

Post by Paint it Pink » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:08 pm

Just got back from going to the Colours wargame show held at the Newbury Racecourse.

For those of you who have never been, it is staged in one of the grandstands and occupies three floors. So pretty big, though not Gencon US big. I was very impressed by the size of the show.

There was lots to see and buy, not that you would necessarily be able to know that in advance from the Newbury Wargames club website, which appears to have html coding issues. You can more easily find stuff using google, than using the links on the site to get to pages. :roll:

Nice friendly vibe though, maybe even better than Salute, which can be a bit overwhelming with the crowds. Lots of good quality demo games going on, and some very keen participation games too. I was collared twice to join in, which was lovely, but I didn't really want to spend the time playing. Too much stuff I wanted to look at and buy. :D However, I think it's always good to have participation games that make one feel welcome. Unfortunately, not Battletech games being run. :cry:

Colours also hosts a wargames championship competition, which though not my thing, appeared to be well organised and layed out for everyone to get on with playing each other. There were also modelling and painting competitons too, split across the two days. Had I gone to the show tomorrow I could have entered some of my Battletech stuff in one of the categories.

Food was the usual fair to be expected as these type of events. We took sandwiches and bought drink, though we were tempted by some of the cakes, but heroically resisted. :lol:

Bought some 6mm infantry from Baccus, to see what they were like, and make up some platoons for Battletech. I want to get some official figures from Ral-Partha Europe at some point to compare them too. I also bought some Woodland Scenics stuff, which has become quite hard to source locally, as my Modelzone has gone over to another range. I was very pleased to pick up some of the Woodland Scenics water product to try out.

I could have spent more, certainly there were a few Battletech books to be had, but I had spent my budget before finding them. To be honest though, I came across nothing I can't find by searching eBay.

Left after four hours of entertainment, so pretty good value for money, and well worth the trip out for the day.
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

Davitch
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Davitch » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:23 pm

Sounds like you guys had a good time!

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:28 pm

It is nice to get these field reports..................keep them coming ffolkes.

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

[fullalbumimg]3303[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]3543[/fullalbumimg]

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Sounds like an evenful afternoon was had... if i can arrange it and my back lasts out i want to try and make it for SELWIG this year at Crystal palace, its about on par with Salute but for some reason their are always seems to be more companies and venders at SELWIG to make you part with your cash. :)

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Unfortuantely, Selwg has been cancelled this year. Link:

http://www.selwg.com/selwg05.html

:cry:
The Unseen once seen cannot be unseen

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:30 pm

Damn as thats a corker of a convention... :(