Getting redirected to the Home Page? Its not a glitch!

The latest news & announcements at Battletech Universe.

Moderators: Ravion Hawk, shalom itay

Odysseus

Getting redirected to the Home Page? Its not a glitch!

Post by Odysseus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:35 pm

Hopefully I don't get too many flames about this 8)

The BTU home page is about to go through a major redesign and restructuring. I want to emphasize the importance of the content that we will have on there, including the visual news feed (which in itself is about to be enhanced).

I know many of you bookmark the forum index, but its just as important for us to check out the front page every so often! Of course, the redesign isn't done, but its getting there.

So here's what happens. Upon your first visit to BTU, if you are coming from say, a bookmark to the forum index, the web site redirects you to the home page. From there, your visits to the forum will no longer cause any annoying redirections. A cookie is set for 48 hours, preventing any annoying redirections, allowing you to browse the forums normally. Of course, after 2 days the cookie expires. This means that say you visited BTU on Friday and didn't come back till Monday. You will again be redirected to th ehome page, were you to try to access the forum index first. This will give you a chance to check out any updates that have taken place over the weekend, new news you may not have seen had you come just to peruse the forums.

I'd like to get some feedback on this - positive and negative. I know some of you may be annoyed by trying to hit the forum and getting taken to the home page. If every 2 days is too frequent and you simply have a complete lack of desire for ever viewing BTU's home page, please let me know about this. I can easily change the timeframe to a less frequent period. But i felt that 2 days was a fair amount of time.

Anyway, the floor is now open.
Administrator of Battletech Universe
Administrator of MyBattletech Media Server
Managing Editor of Argent Fire

Blackhawk01

Post by Blackhawk01 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:40 pm

Once we are back to regular updates this shouldn't be a problem.

Deluge
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Deluge » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:41 pm

I can see this as a benefit given the news items are updated regularly.

Albrecht Jorgensson
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Albrecht Jorgensson » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:47 pm

I like. I saw some new stuff I didn't know about. Pretty good stuff too. Very impressed. Only thing is that it catches you completely off guard when you do it for the first time!
How do I spell 'Politics'? C-O-W-A-R-D-I-C-E

Image Image
My Blog: http://thetwitcherspulpit.blogspot.com/

trboturtle
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by trboturtle » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:13 pm

It did catch me by surprise, but I can see the use of it. I admit that I'm one of those that bypass the front page and head for the index. So, it's not a big deal for me to see the front page every two days, and I don't think anyone else will object.

Craig
[fullalbumimg]2878[/fullalbumimg]

BattleCorps Author -- "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "Snipe Hunt," "Groundpounder," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Color of Authority," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," and "My Father's Sword."

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm soooo sneaky!

ScouseJedi
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by ScouseJedi » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:16 pm

That explains a lot.

Its a good idea. After all some sites I visit have a static frontpage that I go through and then enter the forums. If the frontpage is going to be dynamic and current I would welcome a look at it every couple of days.

After all I only found out FASA were dead about a month ago. It takes a long time for news to get this far.
Vesnuh's Hurricane and a touch of colour

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:36 pm

Well my little experiment failed. Some people's browsers weren't reading the cookie i was placing. I may move to a database-driven check that will work for everyone though. Gotta keep people going to the home page!

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:45 pm

You gotta remember that alot of people use firefox (shudders) and even then alot of people turn off the cookies in IE7.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:07 am

Odysseus wrote:Well my little experiment failed. Some people's browsers weren't reading the cookie i was placing. I may move to a database-driven check that will work for everyone though. Gotta keep people going to the home page!

I use Safari and it sent me there just after you added the cookie and then never sent me to the home page again.

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:29 am

I may use you as a test bed then Typhoon when I reinstall the redirection based off of a database instead of a cookie.

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:04 pm

OK. I have this up and running again, I'll have it running for a week or so to see if it works, so don't freak out if you are suddenly redirected to the hime page one time.