Contest Theme Requests:

The latest news & announcements at Battletech Universe.

Moderators: Ravion Hawk, shalom itay

General Edwin Amis
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by General Edwin Amis » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:05 pm

EX_YN1 wrote:
General Edwin Amis wrote:Just had an idea for an art contest format. I hope it hasn't been done before.

Basically you have a bit of fiction that's a couple paragraphs long. Something about the length of the exerpts they have at the beginner of many Battletech books. It ought to be something that's got lots of action it in, and its also best if its very open ended i.e. a mech is knocked flat on the ground and the attacker comes up to him and aims a gun right at his head, and then it ends).

So what would happen is this little "scene" would be posted and each entrant would need to submit an image that summarizes the scene. In addition to judging the art on how well it is executed, voters should consider how effectively it conveys the feeling of the original piece of writing.

I think it would be pretty nifty.
<br>sounds like the exact opposite of the current fiction contest...

Geez...you know, I seriously did not notice that. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Funny how the brain works.
[fullalbumimg]2930[/fullalbumimg]
Blackhawk01 wrote:I like the way the General thinks...... :twisted:

EX_YN1
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by EX_YN1 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:22 pm

General Edwin Amis wrote:
EX_YN1 wrote:
General Edwin Amis wrote:Just had an idea for an art contest format. I hope it hasn't been done before.

Basically you have a bit of fiction that's a couple paragraphs long. Something about the length of the exerpts they have at the beginner of many Battletech books. It ought to be something that's got lots of action it in, and its also best if its very open ended i.e. a mech is knocked flat on the ground and the attacker comes up to him and aims a gun right at his head, and then it ends).

So what would happen is this little "scene" would be posted and each entrant would need to submit an image that summarizes the scene. In addition to judging the art on how well it is executed, voters should consider how effectively it conveys the feeling of the original piece of writing.

I think it would be pretty nifty.
<br>sounds like the exact opposite of the current fiction contest...

Geez...you know, I seriously did not notice that. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Funny how the brain works.
<br>Nevertheless, It's a good idea! :)
<br><b>"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished<br> unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." <br>-Voltaire</b><br>

BeoWolf
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by BeoWolf » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:57 pm

Fiction Contest:
1. Something set on Soliras 7.
2. The first succession war.
3. The Star league civil war.
4. The war of 3039.
5. Something about the formation of the Republic of the sphere.
Stay true to the dream of the Kerensky's, now and always.

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:00 pm

How about a BTU regiment contest?

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

[fullalbumimg]3303[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]3543[/fullalbumimg]

trboturtle
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by trboturtle » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:19 pm

I suddenly had this thought.....

*Everyone goes running for cover*

We all know the WOB lose the Jihad. But, suppose they didn't? Suppose by luck, fate, or nukes, the WOB won the Jihad? The test would be to write a story about this time, when WOB are the ones in charge. It could be a look at life under the WOB, the resistence, or anything related. How would the Clans react? Would alliances arise that would have been unthinkable before the Jihad? Would the WOB break apart into warring factions once they were in power?

In fact, maybe we should look into expanding this idea even farther -- Pick a period of time of great events and alter them in some way. Suppose Hanse had married Katrina Stiener and not Melissa? Or the Smoke Jaguars took Luthien? Or General Kerensky decided to stay and reclaim the Hemongeny, backed by the SLDF? We could get a load of contests out of this. Since none of this stuff is offical, we can be active in coming up with what ifs.

Thoughts?

Craig
[fullalbumimg]2878[/fullalbumimg]

BattleCorps Author -- "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "Snipe Hunt," "Groundpounder," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Color of Authority," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," and "My Father's Sword."

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:43 am

trboturtle wrote:I suddenly had this thought.....

We all know the WOB lose the Jihad. But, suppose they didn't? Suppose by luck, fate, or nukes, the WOB won the Jihad? The test would be to write a story about this time, when WOB are the ones in charge. It could be a look at life under the WOB, the resistence, or anything related. How would the Clans react? Would alliances arise that would have been unthinkable before the Jihad? Would the WOB break apart into warring factions once they were in power?

In fact, maybe we should look into expanding this idea even farther -- Pick a period of time of great events and alter them in some way. Suppose Hanse had married Katrina Stiener and not Melissa? Or the Smoke Jaguars took Luthien? Or General Kerensky decided to stay and reclaim the Hemongeny, backed by the SLDF? We could get a load of contests out of this. Since none of this stuff is offical, we can be active in coming up with what ifs.

Thoughts?

Craig

Yah know Steve, trbo has a good idea here. Let's take him up on it for the next fiction contest!

Jeff

Hellboy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Hellboy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:34 pm

1 vs 10 mech battles = Vegas Odds are cool :wink:

Deathstrike
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Deathstrike » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:31 pm

I love that idea. :twisted:

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:45 pm

Deathstrike wrote:

I love that idea. :twisted:

BIG hint!

Stay tuned for the NEXT Fiction Contest. Get your writing "juices" bubbling 'cause this one should be FUN and interesting.

Lawgiver
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Lawgiver » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:01 pm

What about a totally non-standard art contest? Steve Ronin's (semi)recent post got me thinking. Let's do CBT related motivational posters. I know it's not draw art, but it's good fun and almost anyone can enter regardless of drawing ability.

ogre
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by ogre » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:19 am

For mini contests, why not promote the Gauntlet with a Gauntlet contest? Stock ones, modified ones...you name it, so long as it's recognizably a Gauntlet. Might go nicely with the Gauntlet-around-the-world thing.

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:56 am

How about a "Tiger Meet" contest? NATO air forces have what is called a "Tiger Meet" every so often. It involves fighter squadrons from all over NATO that have cats as mascots, and usually the squadrons have 1 aircraft painted to look like their mascot.

What if we were to do this: Have a contest where the entries are either mechs with feline names or mechs from units with cars as mascots? The painting would have to be based on the units mascot or the mechs name.

Jeff

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:59 am

I rather like the design a dress uniform theme for a contest as it original and has endless possibilities.... 8) zac