Another year gone by....

Get your non-Battletech related angst out in the open here, and talk freely.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

Dart Omega
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Another year gone by....

Post by Dart Omega »

... remembering good times and friends no longer with us.

It feels almost like yesterday when I first signed up for the site and posted my first mech.

My writing has vastly improved since then and all thanks to you all, my btu family who stuck with me during the scary part of my life when I first found out I had MS.

That seems so long ago now.

How many are still here and ether active or lurking around here these days?

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Another year gone by....

Post by Steve Ronin »

Hello DART!

Currently, we have about 7 irregulars and Me.

plus a handful of non-bot skimmers that stop by to look around every day

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

Ravion Hawk
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Ravion Hawk »

I'm still around, just have more responsibility at work now.
"I'm the Colonel of the Iron Ravens; when I end up behind the eight-ball I blast the thing with a Gauss rifle and move on."

Captain_Martius
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Captain_Martius »

While I’m not regularly on I do try and stop by from time to time.

Cheers

Capt’n
No good deed shall go unpunished!

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

Everyone is always still welcome.

I've got a new job (see my LinkedIN).

Job is great, but the commute...

the commute is 2 hours each way. :|

GRUD
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by GRUD »

Just looked over a few of the "Ronin's Rumblings".

Sorry to hear about your cat. :( I know how that goes. I've had to give 3 "The Big Needle", and I won't own another. I just can't take it anymore. :cry:

Regarding your new "Commute" now though. You sound like it's MUCH shorter than it was back in March! :thumleft:

And if you like Alice Cooper, he put out a new Anti-Covid song recently. "Don't Give Up!" is part spoken, part sung. I've liked AC since 6th or 7th Grade, so since '77/'78 or so?

I have to say, I've expanded my Music Selection more due to BT than anything else that I can think of. :lol: Because of YOU Steve, I heard of 2Cellos, and i think I've got all their CDs (so far). :thumleft: Those guys are AMAZING!! :shock:

Someone over on TOS last year posted something about Baby Metal, so now I own their 2 Studio Albums. I avoid "Live" albums like the plague, mostly, and they've got 3 or more. The exceptions are that I've got the 4 "Alive" albums by KISS.

A few months ago, I Think someone in one of the various FB BT Groups posted a link to a video by The Hu. Another AMAZING Group, in my opinion! :shock: If nothing else, it was one of my Former Gaming Friends that posted it to FB, and we Used to play BT together, so it still counts! :lol:

I guess I Should have started with this one, now that I think about the Chronology of it. It's been 19 years now since Deathstrike introduced me to Disturbed. Yes, I'd seen whichever ".. Of the Dead" movies that had Down with the Sickness in it, but didn't pay that much attention to the music. I think she sent me a copy of their cover of Shout, and maybe Down with the Sickness, and I've been buying their CD ever since. I don't have ALL their stuff, but everything since 2001 at least. I think? Haven't heard from Deathstrike since '08 or so. :(

Finally, a few years back at GC (between '15 and '17?), I saw one of the guys at the IWM booth (Chuck from B&VTraders!) wearing a Sabaton shirt. I saw several others at the Con that year also. After asking him about them, I checked out some of their stuff, . . . and now I've got most of THEIR CDs. :roll: :lol:

Keep painting/playing/plugging/posting! No, I don't come here NEARLY as often as I used to. :oops: Sadly, this site and LotB are seeing less and less traffic, and I think it's AS MUCH since the death of James as since the rise of FB. :cry: I miss that guy, AND his work, and I know a LOT of people flocked here and to LotB to see what he'd put out for the week. I think TOS is still going so strong BECAUSE they're The Official Site. Otherwise, I imagine they'd see a decline as well.

Anyway . . .

"I feel HAPPYYY!! I want to go for a walk!" :lol:

OK, that latter part is a Lie, because it's 87 outside, I have AC inside AND I Hate exercise! :P But still...
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.
"Remember. No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai - PhD, Rocket Scientist, Musician.
Mini Mule Avatar by Steve Ronin!

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

LMAO @ Grud.

1. Dude, you're OLD. I was around in 77/78, but I wasn't in middle school. :mrgreen:

2. I too, am a Sabaton fan because of Chuck. "and then the Polish Hussars arrived"

3. I think alot of the BattleTech site traffic went to FB and Reddit ... but with the new stuff hitting the market, I am seeing an uptick.

4. As for walking ... it's only 75F outside ... but it is 95% humidity, so I'd rather not go for a Sw-walk.

5. I have painted a mini ... just need to ship it. Pics are taken and will be posted soon.

GRUD
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by GRUD »

It seems Weird to BE 53, but not Feel 53. :? I mean, it doesn't "Seem" like I'm this old. But then my Brother's oldest daughter will be 30 this year (in NOV), and 1 month later I'll have been off AD for 20 years! I'm friends on FB with most people from my Squad that I served with in HI from '92 - '96, plus a couple of others. I see pics of some of them on FB, and I'm like, "WHY haven't you AGED?" :lol: Some have, some haven't. Oh Joy, coming up on 54 here in July. :P

Don't ask me my "Favorite" Sabaton song. I'll tell you simply, "The LAST one I heard." :lol:

I've ONLY been to Reddit from some story on my new "Smart" phone directing me there. I've got Spectrum TV, Internet, and now cell service, and they "gave" me a smart phone. Otherwise I'd still have my old flip-phone, and be HAPPY with it. But Yes, I like the new phone. I'd HOPED to try out the GPS in Ireland this year, but oh NOOOO! Someone had to spill a damn bottle of beer! :evil:

Anyway, I'm mainly on FB, but I always hit LotB 1st thing when I get online. I'm Ashamed to admit I don't come HERE nearly as often. :oops: I'm in several BT Groups on FB, but I've already quit one of them. The Owner/Admin is a member here (or was at one time), and Was at LotB as well. My problem with him and his Group though, is he's ALL about STEALING from CGL and IWM, and he "Justifies" it with the Lie that "BT Was stolen from XXX to start!", as if that makes Theft somehow "Legal" in his eyes? And again, he's WRONG with his "Excuses" anyway, but he won't see that. He was one of the ONLY People I could argue about Repros with, yet I still remained friends with him. That friendship is growing cold now though. :| I can't abide Stealing from CGL and IWM, and that's it. And I'll stop here, before I start a Full-On Rant. :lol:

Walking? Yeah, I admit, I HATED doing PT when I was AD Army. Exercising on my OWN? Not going to happen. I plan on dropping dead in the comfort of my own home, in the A/C, not on the street out in the heat. :P :lol:

As for painting . . . I envy those of you that do it, for a number of reasons. That you get Motivated to do so, that you Enjoy doing it, and that you have the Skills to do it. :| Between the ages of 10 (or so) and 19/20, I loved plastic models. I did a few WW II planes (jets do NOTHING for me), then drifted to 1/35th scale military models, mostly from MRC/Tamiya. I did OK with the vehicles, but I wasn't that great with the people. I had a friend that painted a bunch of them for me, but I left them alone. I painted my 1st 'Mech back around '87/'88 or so after getting into BT in '86. Of course, I did NOTHING to the base back then. :lol: My 2nd 'Mech I painted around . . . 2007/2008 or so. :shock: I painted an Unseen Ostroc gold and silver, for the "Inappropriate Camouflage Contest" over on LotB. Even doing a bare-minimum of filling in and painting the base, I took 1st in the "Beginner" Category! :lol:

I just have NO painting "Skills", and I never seem to be Motivated to paint anything. :| If not for HeadlessHorseman so GRACIOUSLY volunteering to paint them, I'd have NO minis of Quinn's Quads painted! :thumleft: :thumleft: :lol: Well, aside from 3. I commissioned SwordsofPayne to make/paint 2 of his modified Xanthos (he calls it the Warhorse) for me, in QQ colors, and those were my 1st two. Then my Brother Widowmaker collaborated with Diamond Shark to paint a Stalking Spider for me. And he painted the numbers, my QQ logo, and a harp on it, FREEHAND!! :shock: None of those 3 have Unit Numbers on them though, but at least they're in the Unit TO&E.

Yep, STILL posting Short Stories! :roll:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.
"Remember. No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai - PhD, Rocket Scientist, Musician.
Mini Mule Avatar by Steve Ronin!

"THE PAPER CUT MASTER"

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

Well, y'all remember my little Princess who won the Junior painting category at HISTORICON?
Who plays BattleTech occasionally still?

https://imgur.com/a/f28lYEZ

She GRADUATED today!
Summa Cum Laude, ranked 13th in a class of 275.
so yeah.
I'm feeling the years today.