ideas: Less/more shielded engines. Water slot. Radiator&Fuel + or - for I.C.E. Engine. Drone Sensors & Drone Equipment

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

ideas: Less/more shielded engines. Water slot. Radiator&Fuel + or - for I.C.E. Engine. Drone Sensors & Drone Equipment

Post by eLMsm »

Engines

Game Overview:
Fusion engines, fission engines, and I.C.E. are designed to withstand damage from combat. Recently Periphery designers decided that some units wouldn't require heavy fusion engine shielding to save on parts, to keep them out of range of weapons, to make them faster and harder to be attacked, to stay out of combat and/or other reasons; and some ComStar personnel decided that heavier shielded fusion engines are ideal to help protect against explosions. Some engines were designed to have more or less fuel (and sometimes no radiators) for more usages or for quick expendable usages, respectively.

Game notes:
For each 5% of a shielded fusion engine's tonnage that's decreased, apply a +1 modifier to the rolled number to avoid an engine explosion; and for each 5% of a shielded fusion engine's tonnage that's increased, apply a -1 modifier to the rolled number to avoid an engine explosion. Note that a light, XL, or XXL engine that uses these rules could be lighter or heavier than a normal light, XL, XXL engine.
For each 5% of a shielded I.C.E. tonnage that's decreased, apply a +1 modifier to the rolled number to avoid an engine explosion; and for each 5% of a shielded I.C.E. engine's tonnage that's increased, apply a -1 modifier to the rolled number to avoid an engine explosion.
Fuel for I.C.E. engine equals 10% of said engine’s standard total tonnage, and so two critical slots (of I.C.E. engine) for two 5% of total tonnage of standard I.C.E. engine, and so thus 10% total of total tonnage of I.C.E. engine. Another critical slot is I.C.E. radiator heat sink used for non-jumping movement(s) only, and that radiator masses 5% of engine’s total standard tonnage. Three remaining critical slots is engine.

Drone Sensors and Drone Equipment
Here’s some comments and questions about Drone Sensors and Drone Equipment that my friend Bill wanted to post here, but he lost his password for his email account, and so he couldn’t get his BTU loginname activated, and so he asked me to post this message for him:
My name is Bill Wilson, and I’ve just started learning BT a few weeks ago. Here's what the Drone Sensors and Drone Equipment do according to a guy that said he used to subscribe to MechForce Quarterly back in the late 1990s (he was a member of the Quantum Bandits Mercenary Regiment) . He wrote a New Avalon Institute of Science Armed Forces Federated Commonwealth style song about this information that he got from Randall Bills when Randall Bills used to work for FASA:

When you control your vehicular drone,
you probably won’t want to control it while being alone.
While you’re controlling your drone’s sensors’ detectings,
others will be controlling its Gunnerings and Pilotings.
Aritificial intelligence can control from in or afar a drone,
that’s as easy as putting ice cream into a cone.
Your drone needs to have for use a mind & body scanner,
and it also needs to have an analyzer computer.
Your drone gets to have many lasers and photodiodes circuitries,
to easily send and receive laser beams communicatings.
Your drone gets to be very well shielded,
so nanoprobes and evil spirits won’t get to have it wielded.

Basically, class, to sum up that song:

The Drone Sensors (mind & body CAT scanner) are the 0.25 tons of the scanner plus 0.10 tons analyzer computer used to make certain that any Character entering the drone is authorized to program it plus 0.15 tons (average) of Character in said scanner; the total of all those is 0.5 tons. The Drone Equipment (lasers and photodiodes circuitries and extra shielding) are for laser communications from and to said drone if said Drone gets ECMed and can't receive or broadcast radio and screen communications, and also to protect the drone from nanoprobe(s) and hijackings done by evil spirit(s); the total of all those Drone Equipment per each Drone is 10% of said Drone's total tonnage. The Drone's Cockpit, that has 0.15 tons for a Character in addition to 0.10 tons of Main Computer & Internal Main Controls & Main Communications, has that latter 0.15 tons used for artificial intelligence instead of a Character if the Drone is to function without one or more Characters controlling it; otherwise, if there is no artificial intelligence controlling said Drone, then a Character can simply enter said Drone to use it as if it was a Vehicle; and the remaining 0.25 tons of Drone’s Cockpit is its Vehicle’s Main Vehicle Sensors. (Randall wanted to keep the rules for drones simple and wanted to get Maximum Tech published quickly, and so he didn’t include rules for drone sensors and drone equipment that or drones being controlled by multiple Characters or artificial intelligence controlled drones; I wonder why those rules still haven’t yet been published in Tactical Operations or Strategic Operations, but we’re apparently changed and put in Tactical Operations, oh well) .

What is each of your opinion’s of each Drone having a Positive Design Quirk worth +x number of points per Drone per Character remotely controlling said Drone? The +x number of points should equal a positive number that won’t be too high so that the Drone doesn’t get unbalanced effectiveness value wise, and the +x points should probably equal a positive number that won’t be too low so that Character(s) controlling said Drone aren’t taken for granted regarding their A Time of War status(es) Record Sheet(s) information(s) . What should be the sizes and quantities and locations of item slots or critical slots per each mass and per each kind of said drone for the Drone Sensor(s) and Drone Equipment?
Last edited by eLMsm on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:15 am, edited 13 times in total.
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Idea: Less or more shielded engines. Water/uranium #1 critical slot in ‘Mech or other slot(s) in other Unit(s)

Post by eLMsm »

What is each of your opinions of having a fusion engine’s #1 critical slot in a ‘Mech (or slot in another vehicular Unit) be for water? Like if that slot takes a critical hit, then fusion engine doesn’t explode, but all water spills out of unit, how should that affect engine heat?

What is each of your opinions of having a fission engine’s #1 critical slot in a ‘Mech (or slot in another vehicular Unit) be for uranium? Like if that slot takes a critical hit, then fission engine automatically explodes?
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Other units using I.C.E. engines that use more volatile fuels that VTOL I.C.E. Engines usually use

Post by eLMsm »

What is each of your opinions of that?

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: ideas: Less or more shielded engines. Waterslot. Radiator&Fuel + or - for I.C.E. Engines. Drone Sensors&Drone Equipm

Post by Steve Ronin »

OK.
first of all: fusion engines do not EXplode, they IMplode.
Despite what Mike Stackpole writes, when the magnetic shielding of a fusion engine is breached, the INtake of outside air or any material,
immediately SNUFFS the reaction.
That is the for real, no **** SCIENTIFIC fact.

2nd: Fission engines are too unstable to be allowed on a planetary surface, except in power stations or water navy. And they're just as expensive as fusion.
I cannot imagine anyone wanting to ever consider combat while sitting upon a fission bomb.
THIS doesn't count:

3rd: ICE / fuel-cell engines are well known. I can see a possible house rule for "improved engine compartment armoring" or maybe "armored fuel cell", but this is BattleTech. Vehicles are meant to be crunchy, easily destroyed little minions.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Vehicles would be more easily destroyed if they took crithits to Fuelboxes having more volatile fuels

Post by eLMsm »

Yeah, I was referring to BT Tactical Operations rules for engine explosions.

Well, BT Vehicles could be more easily destroyed if they take Fuelboxes critical hits if said Fuelboxes have the more volatile VTOL fuels in them. :P :wink:

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: ideas: Less or more shielded engines. Waterslot. Radiator&Fuel + or - for I.C.E. Engines. Drone Sensors&Drone Equipm

Post by eLMsm »

What must be the rules of communications lasers and photodiodes circuitries as to each of their qualities and quantities per each type and each mass of drone? How about one communications laser & photodiode circuitry per 100 kg Drone Equipment per Drone? What about unit(s) and/or structure(s) , that control drone(s) via communication(s) laser(s) and photodiode(s) ? The same? Photodiode(s) must respectively have LOS(es) to communications laser(s) . How about units equipped with mirrors to also functionly spot and reflect communication laser(s) to and from said drone(s) and controller(s) ?

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: ideas: Less/more shielded engines. Water slot. Radiator&Fuel + or - for I.C.E. Engine. Drone Sensors & Drone Equipme

Post by Steve Ronin »

eLMsm: if you start trying to design drones down to the GRAM, I'm going to take away your calculator. :lol:

Honestly, don't forget BT is a simple game: where the simplicity of "Communications Equipment" and "Drone Control Equipment" are just Good Enough.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: ideas: Less/more shielded engines. Water slot. Radiator&Fuel + or - for I.C.E. Engine. Drone Sensors & Drone Equipme

Post by eLMsm »

Ha ha. :lol:

I didn’t want to be thought of as cheating any player(s) , though. :wink: