Ideas: each Critical Hit to Gyro causes +1D6 PSR mod; Scotland the Brave music negates intimidated field manual ability

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Ideas: each Critical Hit to Gyro causes +1D6 PSR mod; Scotland the Brave music negates intimidated field manual ability

Post by eLMsm »

Each Critical Hit to Gyro causes +1D6 Piloting Skill Roll modifier. When all Gyro critical slots have been strikethroughed, then Gyro is destroyed.

Any character(s) listening to Scotland the Brave music negate(s) intimidated field manual ability.
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Ideas: each Critical Hit to Gyro causes +1D6 PSR mod; Scotland the Brave music negates intimidated field manual abil

Post by Steve Ronin »

Gyro critical hits. as a GM, this is a very good idea.
especially if you have players with 0/0 G/P skills (Elites)
and, if in a super brawl, might give players a chance of surviving the fight.
whereas the canon rules are 2 hits to the gyro, destroy the gyro and the Mech can no longer stand.

IF you were to use this rule, I'd amend this: each hit to the gyro is +2 to any targetting to-hit rolls, but also a +1 to being hit; especially considering that a Mech would be like a staggering drunk on the battlefield.

More: if the player wants to MOVE after two gyro hits, each hex moved is a +1 (walk) or +2 (run) rolled against their piloting skill.

example:
Bob the Hero (1Gun/1Pilot) is in a last ditch defense against a dozen enemies. he takes a gyro hit. to maintain standing, he rolls 1D6 to determine severity. Gets a 3. Bob now must roll a 4 (1P + 3) to stand. Succeeds, keeps fighting.

A turn later, Bob suffers armor blow thru to the CT. takes two more crits to his Gyro. (by canon, the gyro is destroyed and Mech falls) But Bob rolls 1D6 against each gyro hit. gets a 3 and a 6. Now he must roll a 4 and 7 to stand & survive. IF either fails, the gyro spins out of control, smashes itself to pieces, and the Mech falls. Amazingly, Bob succeeds.

Now Bob needs to leave the battlefield. For every hex that he wishes to move, there is a +1 rolled against his piloting skill. The Mech is a shambling WRECK ... it takes every amount of skill for the Hero to stay on its feet.
Bob wishes to move 4 hexes (a standard walk). First hex. roll 1P + 1 movement. Succeeds. 2nd hex; roll 1P + 2, 3rd hex 1P +3, 4th hex 1P +4.
If the player wishes to RUN with a damaged gyro, it is a PSR +2 movement. Thus, 1P +2 for the first hex, +3 for the second, +4 for the third, +5 for the fouth, etc...

If Bob fails in ANY of these rolls, the Mech will fall, and will now require THREE 1D6 +Piloting PSRs to stand up.

Viciously tough for an elite player, and a serious gamble, but could be a winning advantage.

As for musical intimidation: I've played where bagpipe music gives any Scottish units/players a +1 to initiative.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: Ideas: each Critical Hit to Gyro causes +1D6 PSR mod; Scotland the Brave music negates intimidated field manual abil

Post by eLMsm »

Gyro critical hits. as a GM, this is a very good idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

especially if you have players with 0/0 G/P skills (Elites)
and, if in a super brawl, might give players a chance of surviving the fight.
whereas the canon rules are 2 hits to the gyro, destroy the gyro and the Mech can no longer stand.

That’s what I was thinking. Yeah, canon rules (no pun intended) make bringing down ‘Mechs way too easy because of Gyro critical hits rules.

IF you were to use this rule, I'd amend this: each hit to the gyro is +2 to any targetting to-hit rolls, but also a +1 to being hit; especially considering that a Mech would be like a staggering drunk on the battlefield.

More: if the player wants to MOVE after two gyro hits, each hex moved is a +1 (walk) or +2 (run) rolled against their piloting skill.

Interesting ideas. So basically each hex moved has a PSR with attacker movement modifier added to minimum desired roll number.
When do I “retreat” ? Only when I want to re+treat myself to eating cookies here in VT of USA. Here in VT, outside temperatures can get very cold; I suppose my miniatures won’t get overheated, ha ha.

Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Steve Ronin »

you are very welcome for the feedback. it's what this forum is for....

while I understand/appreciate the canon Gyro rules, when you're dealing with other people players, it pays to be flexible.

yes. note, that even with canon rules, even if the gyro is destroyed, the Mech can still move. At a crawl. Literally. 1 MP per turn.

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

eLMsm
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by eLMsm »

Yeah. I got this rule from my Aussie friend:

A prone ‘Mech may use its shoulder, arm, hand, hip, leg, and feet actuators to pull and “push” itself along the ground in a skidding way at a cost of 4MP per hex in addition to MP spent for the terrain/elevation change(s); and that ‘Mech takes skidding damage per each hex skidded during such pull&push movement. This is useful for a ‘Mech that's gyro has been destroyed and can't crawl per Tactical Operations crawling rules.